Supporting Development of Regulation of Emotions

Forum for students doing their Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Roxy C

Supporting Development of Regulation of Emotions

Post by Roxy C » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Professionals' Opinions sought through questions we pose to help us construct 'Connections between Social Development and Pedagogy'(Master of Teaching Early Childhood Yr 1 topic no:9123)
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
I am interested in learning how to respond to a chld who is sad and how to help them regulate their emotions. how would you respond to a child who is sad?
Thank you

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Would you try and distract them by getting them to engage in a task, would you encourage them to express their emotion in some way - like doing a drawing of what they feel, would you have an area set up for them to go to and hug a soft toy, lie down and be allowed to cry or would you perhaps ask them what has made them feel sad?

Description and Message:
How do you support a child that is sad

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Supporting Development of Regulation of Emotions

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 am

I always acknowledge a child's emotions.
"what are you feeling?"
"why are you feeling that way?" or "what made you"
"what can I do to help" or "do you need a hug/book/toy/be alone"

hope this helps

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: Supporting Development of Regulation of Emotions

Post by cathiek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:09 pm

I agree with fefe. It is important I think to acknowledge the child's emotions and that it is ok to have these feelings. After acknowledging them, suggestions can be made or distractions organised. Sometimes when a child says Imiss my mum and is teary I let them know that it is ok to feel this way and I miss my mum too but then ask what could we do for mum that would be nice. We might make a. Picture or write a note. Usually the they are ok 5 minutes later