“How might education mediate difference and dominance?” - Youtube Link

Forum for students doing their Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

“How might education mediate difference and dominance?” - Youtube Link

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 am

Another assignment, this one is freaking me out a bit as its a You Tube presentation! :sweating:
I have been on You Tube and searched the question of the assignment (given below) and looked at previous students assignments but everything I have thought of seems to have been done and I don't want to come across as copying someone elses work so I need to use a topic that has occured recently to overcome the issue of seeming like ive copied someone elses ideas (you can go on You Tube if you want to see what previous ppl have come up with)

Anyway I need ideas for a topic to use - this is what it is

Prepare and mount a presentation on YouTube that addresses the question:
“How might education mediate difference and dominance?”
This assignment involves taking a seemingly everyday event and extracting transformative teaching possibilities from it.
Students are required to select an event and use this as the basis for the development of a teaching
episode.

Assignment sections
Part 1: The event or issue (approximately 2-3 minutes duration)
IIn this section of the presentation, you should clearly and fully describe an issue or event you have selected as the basis for this assignment. You should also explain how you see the issue or event touching on notions of difference in the social context by drawing on the relevant course materials, and how you see the the event connecting to national or community identity. You should not assume any specific prior knowledge of the event on the part of the viewer. Connection to, and use of the relevant course materials (that is, lecture materials, readings and other resources) must be utilised.

Part 2: The event as curriculum (approximately 5-8 minutes duration)
This part of the presentation asks you to present some ideas as to how you might use the event as curriculum - that is, as the content of an educative experience for students. Essentially you are asked to think about how you might address issues or events in the community from the perspective of collective and individual identity, difference and diversity presented in the course.

Some questions to prompt your thinking about this are:
• What ideas do you have for how you might “teach” this topic?
• What would you hope to draw out of the event that might assist learners
deepen their understanding of Difference and community identities?
• What potential does the event hold for critical engagement with some of the
implications of various identity locations and senses of Self?
• How might the event allow you to work as a transformative educator, in this case working to overcome disadvantage and marginalisation of some
groups within your class and the community?
• How might the event allow you to work to reduce discrimination in the
community?
We are not looking for formal lesson or unit plans - we acknowledge that most students taking this course are yet to be exposed to this aspect of teacher preparation. We are, however, looking for you to generate some ideas of how to use this type of material to generate positive understandings of difference and diversity
This part of the clip could take the form of:
• Ascripteddiscussion
• A roundtable session ;
• A simulated teaching episode, or..........the possibilities here are endless and entirely up to you. Just be sure that whichever method of presentation you use, that clear
• connection to the requirements of this task are met.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: “How might education mediate difference and dominance?”

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi Fefe,

Bit of a biggie with this assignment isn't it? It took me couple of reads before I understood what this assignment was asking (lol... Still on the vacation mood I guess). I had a quick glance at You Tube and the presentations are mostly on racism, multiculturalism etc..etc. So I understand why you want to do something different. It asks you to suggest an everyday event right, so how about something as simple as the foods we eat and how this connects to community identity based on people's culture, convenience (such as takeway or home cooked meals), health (diets), allergies etc? I don't know if this idea is even on the right track of what the question asks but I was wondering! :giggle:
Another assignment, this one is freaking me out a bit as its a You Tube presentation!

You will be fine...its just like any other presentation except you upload them on Youtube. Cant wait to see your presentation..I am sure its gonna be heaps better than the ones I saw. Some of them were pretty lame.. lol..

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:07 pm

not sure how to tie that in with the question
i was thinking about using an example like the whole Ban the Burqa thing and how educating children about the realistic facts of women covering up could make them understand this is as a difference.

ugh i have no idea, really confused on this one

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Fefe,

If you were going to use the Burqua idea you could link it to racism and talk about the Burqua Ban here in Australia. I just did some quick research on the Burqua ban in Australia and it mentions that a Libberal Senator called Cory Bernanrdi was the one who started the controversy over the Burqua Ban. I guess you could research some information on how it all started and the importance of the Burqua to Islamic women. For teaching possibilities you could probably do it for preschool children or older. Instead of reading a book to the group (as this has be done in most presentations) I think you should show images of women wearing the Burqua, have a group discussion and note down the children's thoughts. You could explain why women wear it and the importance of it. You could also probably make up your own little story using finger puppets or felts. This is just an idea I came up once I read what you were thinking of doing... yeah you're right it isn't an easy assignment. Don't worry I'm sure you will come up with something...

Cheers :geek:.
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks LA, I have been researching it myself, also want to be clear on the Islamic/religious concept of women covering up...as far as I had been taught and learnt in Islam covering the face is not required. Have to be careful as do not want to put anything in that is incorrect!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi Fefe, Sorry if my idea was a little confusing. What I mean was you could discuss Australia as a multicultural society and the wide range of diverse foods. You could also talk about how different cultures eat different foods and for the curriculum plan you could do cooking experiences. I like the topic you mentioned about the Burqua Ban… I think that may cover this question better than my idea! LOL :giggle:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:05 pm

LA thats a good idea but I think I am just going to do the easiest thing and use Racism and find a good even that may portray this and then make my lesson plan to educate kids about other cultures, races, etc.
Since my major is Early Childhood I would like to make a lesson plan for 3-5yr olds and I think this would be the easiest topic
Lets see!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Can anyone think about something in the media (an event) about racism? Preferably recent

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Fefe,

As you may know the cricket season has started and there already has been some controversy surrounding KFC's Cricket ad in America. A lot of Americans actually complained about this ad being racist and got it banned. I'll give you the links below so you can check it out for yourself.

http://adland.tv/content/kfc-australia- ... -it-racist

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/990 ... roar-in-us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIhf41ctkM

Maybe you could use this as an idea...

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:35 am

I was thinking of using the more recent example of Teresa Gambaros comment about immigrants having to learn to wait in queues and wear deodrant....but not sure if that would fit in a racist viewpoint or a multicultural one.
Perhaps your one is more clear cut as it comes across as definately racist as in it stereotypes.
agghh each time I decide on something I change my mind, I will never get this done at this rate :(

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 am

"immigrants having to learn to wait in queues and wear deodrant."
yeah...i read that one. I think probably last week or so in yahoo7. I would fit it in a racist viewpoint since I definitely dont think that its a multicultural one. How stereotypical is that!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 pm

I can't believe it... What a terrible thing to say! Honestly, I think the whole Immigration situation for those wanting to come to this country is very unfair. I don't think alot of people realize the financial aspect of it (for those Immigrating here you need to show a certain amount, so this means you're basically bringing more money into Aus) and on top of that unless you're an Australian citizen you don't get much help. Some people say "you come to my country, you follow my rules" but seriously without people migrating from other countries I don't think Australia would be the same and not to mention Immigration is one of Australia's biggest revenues! It really makes me mad that when faced with "racism" Australia blankly deny it but then you hear comments like this from the government itself it makes you think no wonder people think this way about non-Australians. It really makes me sick... why can't we just all get along and accept each other and where we come from! I guess dealing with "racism" is now a normal part of society!!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 pm

cool i think i will go with that as it is more recent than the KFC cricket issue

at the mo working on critiquing an article which you may want to read as is very interesting indeed
http://www.theage.com.au/world/society- ... -ul0b.html

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:36 pm

I read this yesterday and I thought of this topic: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1619 ... e-says-Teo

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks I had seen that and was thinking of using it in my assignment

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Help required, having tech issues!

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:26 pm

OK so I have Mac and I have completed my Powerpoint presentation for my assignment. Now I have to get it onto Youtube however when I save as movie I lose all my animations :?
Also want to put music in the background of my presentation but when I insert the music the speaker icon shows.
Gosh sometimes I HATE technology & computers.
Anyway I have until 4pm on Wednesday to get this sorted

Have attached my PP Presentation as is, its pretty pathetic but anyway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic merged

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Help required, having tech issues!

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N96wMNo50XY

The final product.
If anyone knows how to improve the resolution once it goes to full screen please let me know

Cheers.
Any comments would be appreciated
:)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Youtube link

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zYhKn1fTy8

My assignment in HD so should be better when its full screen
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic Merged

Lorina

Re: “How might education mediate difference and dominance?” - Youtube Link

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Fefe,

I AM YOU ARE WE ARE AUSTRALIAN! :giggle:

Brings back memories of me singing this song at school! Great song choice... I was bopping and singing along to your video (I still remember all the words)...LOL...

In all seriousness, your presentation turned out good! The cartoons you featured were really good and made sense of the overall viewpoint of racism in Australia. The teaching strategies are simple so children can get an understanding of the world and your ideas are well thought out. I liked it..I liked it a lot!

Oh I thought you were going to talk in the video... didn't you need to do commentary for the presentation? Reading from your last post, have you got all the tech issues sorted? The last video played fine, had sounds and the resolution wasn't a problem in full screen... so, I guess you figured it out...

Another good assignment! Good Luck with the results! :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: “How might education mediate difference and dominance?” - Youtube Link

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 pm

LA - i sound so retarded so opted out of the voice over .... we didnt really have to vid ourselves or record ourselves if we didnt want to.
I got all the tech issues sorted ... to be honest I could have probably done a better job but i just wanted to get it done and over with.
I am sure if there are any serious issues they will ask me to re submit but I am hoping it will be ok.