School Requesting Our OOSH To Use "Time Out" Approach

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
indego
Participator
Participator

School Requesting Our OOSH To Use "Time Out" Approach

Post by indego » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if you can help me find some research into behavioral guidance.
I run an OSHC service, and our behavioral guidance practice is being questioned by the school. The school is putting pressure on us to implement socially isolating timeouts to manage children with social issues. (For example, if they push during a game of tiggy, the school's desired consequence is the child being removed from the game and forced to sit away from the group.) I have many issues with this approach, namely that it's not good for the child, but it also doesn't work. This child learns nothing, the situation isn't solved. All it does is make the situation worse for everyone.

I'm building up a document about behavioral guidance, explaining why we do things the way we do.
For example, I'm using John Bowlby’s attachment theory to explain why we prioritize relationships with children.

But it's been a long time since I studied, and I'm drawing a blank on theorists and research.
I'm looking for something to quote about behavioral outcomes of children who "learn to behave" in an environment where there is an arbitrary authority figure who hands down punishments, versus the outcomes for children who "learn to behave" through pedagogical guidance, and following the advice/examples of trusted and respected care givers.

I'm also looking for some more studied regarding behavior as communication, so I can highlight the reasons we work to understand the reason rather than just stomp out the behavior. (I feel that this is so fundamental that it shouldn't need to be explained...)

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good studies to back up decent behavioral guidance practices?

Thank you :)
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Re: School Requesting Our OOSH To Use "Time Out" Approach

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:06 am

I'm surprised to hear that your being pressurised from the school to issue time outs! I agree that time outs do not benefit a child at all! The use of time-out does not address the underlying cause of the "inappropriate behaviour." Children act in specific ways for good reasons, even though the youngsters themselves may not be aware of them. Most undesirable behaviour can be explained by one of three factors: the child is attempting to fulfill a legitimate need, the child lacks information or is too young to understand, or the child is feeling upset (frustrated, sad, scared, confused, jealous, or insecure). When we try to change a behaviour without addressing these feelings and needs, we do not help our children very much at all. Why? Because the underlying problem will still be there. Teaching children to conform to our wishes does not resolve the deeper issues (Ref: Aletha Sloer).

Like you have requested I have found some research which may be able to help:

Behaviour Management Models
Classroom Management Theorists
Replacing Timeout

I really hope that you're able to convey that time outs are not successful in dealing with behaviour! I'm happy to see that you're sticking to your ethics and your morales and putting up a fight for what you believe in! Good on you!

:geek:,
Lorina

indego
Participator
Participator

Post by indego » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks you so much, that's fantastic :)

indego
Participator
Participator

Post by indego » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Thank you so much for all the links... They've been so helpful, and having the names to back up what I know is best practice has been really helpful.
The school is digging it's heals in on the phrasing of "time outs," so I've just redefined them to suit our context.

Here's the first draft of the new policy... I'll be presenting it at a committee meeting on Thursday.

Guidelines and Procedures:
• Educators will not punish children; instead Educators will redirect behaviour, discuss behaviour following restorative practice guidelines, and use emotional anchoring and relationships to guide behaviour.

• All behavioural guidance conversations will be from a standpoint of teaching appropriate behaviour, and not from a standpoint of punishment.

• Based on the findings of Naomi I. Eisenberger’s 2003 study, Does rejection hurt: An fMRI study of social exclusion, which found social isolation can cause very similar responses as physical pain, “Time Outs,” must be used rarely, with caution and with care. If using “Time Outs,” children must never be left alone, without an engaging activity, or without a social connection.

• Based on John Bowlby’s 1982 attachment theory, and Aletha Solter’s 2013 attachment play theory, Educators will place an emphasis on building strong relationships with all children to create a foundation for behaviour guidance. The service believes that these relationships are paramount to children’s wellbeing, and must be nurtured.

• Based on the work of Burrhus Frederic Skinner, Educators will use regular feedback along with positive reinforcement to guide children’s behaviour. Educators will also use social reinforcers to promote desirable behaviour, such as praise, affection, and attention. Educators will never withhold affection and/or attention.

• Along with addressing the behaviour, Educators will work to find the root cause of the behaviour, and provide appropriate support limit the cause or alternatively work with the child to provide strategies to overcome the cause.

• Based on Dr Dan Siegel’s Healthy Mind Platter, behaviours will be addressed by ensuring all areas of needs are supported within the individual context of the child’s day.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:00 pm

You have done your research! I think it's great the amount of time and thought you put into this!! Along with this policy I'd also add a step by step procedure of what an educator would do if a child misbehaves at your service. Just so, it's in black and white and it's easily understood by all including the committee. Just so everyone is on the same page and understands what your intentions are rather than just put a child in time out... Basically putting your policy into action!

:geek:,
Lorina