Ratio's During Rest Time

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Ratio's During Rest Time

Post by Macoola » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 am

Hello

I am just wondering what the regulations are on how many staff you need in a room during rest time. I was under the impression that you must be within ration for the number of children awake. So if you are in the babies room by yourself you can only have 4 babies awake. This is just what I have been told and I would like to see where it is written in the regulations if anyone knows? Also as most centres my centre has their lunch breaks during rest time. What happens if none of the children sleep does that mean you cannot go to lunch because I am often left alone in the preschool room of 20 children where none of the children sleep.

Thanks

Macoola

Lorina

Re: Ratio's During Rest Time

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:37 am

Hi Macoola,

I found this info in the Regs:

Breaks

The National Regulations require the educator to child ratio to be maintained at all times.
However, it is recognised that backfilling educators in Centre-based services while they are on
short breaks is difficult. The approach of Regulatory Authorities will be to allow each educator
to take up to 30 minutes off the floor per day without being backfilled—for example, for
personal hygiene, meal breaks or to take personal phone calls—without the service being in
breach of prescribed ratio requirements. At all times the overarching consideration must be the
needs of the children and adequate supervision must be maintained at all times.

For example, this provision might be used to provide educators with two 15 minute tea breaks
without backfilling their position, or one 30-minute lunch break, where adequate supervision can
be maintained. This provision is not intended to result in situations where accommodating the
needs of the children is compromised. For example, children should not be required to rest for an
unreasonable length of time to accommodate educators’ breaks.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi L.A.

That helps a lot. Thanks for your reply

Macoola

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I maintain ratios at ALL times during the day. This ensures that you don't have any sticky periods when you may get shorthanded. The only times people are not replaced is if they are quickly popping to the toilet or out to prints pictures. All breaks and lunches are covered.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

That is interesting, none of our breaks are covered and it can be really difficult in the older rooms where none sleep any more!

Thanks

fefe

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Everywhere I've worked ratios are maintained. I have 3 staff in all my rooms so when one is on break/lunch they are in ratio and we don't need relief staff. Works a treat

CharniAnn

Post by CharniAnn » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:46 am

For the below reply, what regulation is this? i would really like to give a copy to one of my fellow educators. :)
Thanks in advance
:)

Lorina wrote:Hi Macoola,

I found this info in the Regs:

Breaks

The National Regulations require the educator to child ratio to be maintained at all times.
However, it is recognised that backfilling educators in Centre-based services while they are on
short breaks is difficult. The approach of Regulatory Authorities will be to allow each educator
to take up to 30 minutes off the floor per day without being backfilled—for example, for
personal hygiene, meal breaks or to take personal phone calls—without the service being in
breach of prescribed ratio requirements. At all times the overarching consideration must be the
needs of the children and adequate supervision must be maintained at all times.

For example, this provision might be used to provide educators with two 15 minute tea breaks
without backfilling their position, or one 30-minute lunch break, where adequate supervision can
be maintained. This provision is not intended to result in situations where accommodating the
needs of the children is compromised. For example, children should not be required to rest for an
unreasonable length of time to accommodate educators’ breaks.

Hope this helps,

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:07 pm

The information quoted above is found in:

Guide To The National Law and Regulations"

Pages 89 - "Mixed Age Ratio" and 90 - "Breaks", for your reference...

Lorina