Parents Asking To Have Their Child Woken Up From Their Day Sleep

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: Parents Asking To Have Their Child Woken Up From Their Day Sleep

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:01 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Yes 100%, day sleep effects the night sleep. Work out a program with the family by reducing the day sleep, trial it for a couple of weeks. Observe the child's tiredness in the arvo while at play, ask what the night routine is like kranky/functioning.

There needs to be a balance between getting enough sleep during the day without it effecting the night sleep. Finding that balance may take weeks but that's why working in partnership with families is so important

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Different children react differently...my friends daughter would be awake till 11.00pm if she had even a 15 minute nap in the afternoon, whereas my youngest could sleep three hours and wake as late as 4.00pm and still be in bed by 7.30 at night. Different children, different needs...simple as that 🙂

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Even after reading the comments, I still believe In the rights of the child and they should sleep if they need /want to.... especially if their behaviour is affected in the pm

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:02 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Parents are asking you to reduce the nap length because napping too long, or too late in the afternoon won't allow enough sleep pressure to build for an adequate bedtime. They probably don't have the capacity to deal with an extremely late bedtime if you let the child nap.

A late bedtime is likely to result in a late wakeup (and throwing out the following day) or a parent waking their child early and them being cranky because they haven't had enough sleep.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

I understand it is easier to have all the children sleep, and almost punish children who want to keep playing by requiring them to be quite but a child's night sleep is important.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Yes their day sleep does affect their night sleep but i put it down to parents dont want to parent some times and its easier for them to make us deal with it even though the child may be crying and cranky cos their body is so clearly tired. My rule has always been if your child falls asleep then i will leave them for an hr because my job is to follow the childs cues and their body is telling me they are tired. Im a mother of 5 so i understand night frustrations as all my children go through it from 2 and push boundaries but i would never cut their sleep because they they would be crankier and emotional. Parents often expect things to be simple and easy but in reality more often it is not. Im also a parent of high needs children so i get the parents mental health side of things but children especially toddlers are running around active most of the day and come lunch time are buggered.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:03 pm

FACEBOOK POST

100% I believe a child’s day sleep affects their night sleep

If a child wants to sleep they should be provided the resources they need to do this. If the child wants a bed they should get a bed, if they want a mat and blanket they should be allowed to do this.
I’ve had the 45 min request before and have never had a child enjoy waking up after 45 mins so I believe the child needs more if they’re wishing to stay asleep

I tend to just have a blanket rule 99% of the time all 2-5 year olds are up by 3pm

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:03 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Even 3pm for a 3-5yo is really late. If my girl (4.5 now) slept until 3 she would be up until 1-2am easy. Therefore I request she’s up by 1:30 latest - still won’t sleep until 8/8:30pm.

I know this is depending on any individual child, but also from feedback from my current families, I try to have my room up (3-4yr olds) by 2pm with a rest period from 12:30-2pm.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:04 pm

FACEBOOK POST

yes I agree

I’ve rarely had a child sleep till 3 but it can happen (for those who have poor routines at home, may share room and have broken night sleep) say a preschool room have lunch at 12

90% of the time all up by 2 but I mean for a child who’s parent didn’t mind I wouldn’t force them up by 2

I would start turning lights on, opening blinds and re setting the room

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

I would say :"I tried my best to wake her/him up but he didn't get up coz he was too tired ,not able to get up. "We can't force someone to cut off their basic human needs( Eat and sleep ). I would gently pat him/her to see if that child is OK with that. Some kids get up happily, some cried and keep eyes closed, then I would comfort them and let them sleep again . Especially if that child is very young or didn't sleep long enough last night / had lots physical activities in the morning, that child wouldn't get up easily.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

i do the same my parent says only 1 hour nap please children are sometimes that tired that they will sleep while having their lunch 😊 so i hv to transfer them to their beds. So if they are tired i will let them sleep.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:05 pm

FACEBOOK POST

As a parent 1000% it does... as an educator though we're told we're not meeting their needs by waking them up so it's a difficult position to be in