Parents Asking To Have Their Child Woken Up From Their Day Sleep

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Parents Asking To Have Their Child Woken Up From Their Day Sleep

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:09 am

ANONYMOUS POST:

I work in a toddler room and we have many parents now that are giving their child a sleep limit therefore we have to wake them up after 1 hour or 45 mins. Their reasoning is if they sleep longer, they can't get them to sleep at a reasonable hour at night. Does their day sleep really affect their night sleep?

Lorina

Re: Parents Asking To Have Their Child Woken Up From Their Day Sleep

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:53 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I used to think this was a myth….. until I became a parent. My eldest actually cut his own day sleep when he was about 2 ish and I was freaking out but if he even had a 15 minute kip during the day, his night time routine was shot.

In saying that. Every child is different and we should always do what’s best for each individual child.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Yes it definitely does. If my now 4 year old has a day sleep, she’ll be awake until 10-11 at night, and then will obviously be tired again the next day. However if she doesn’t sleep during the day she’s ready for bed by 7 and sleeps through.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

I would agree day sleeps 100% affect them well it does my daughter and I also work in a toddler room and also have parents requesting the kids be woken after a certain amount of sleep time as they are harder to get to sleep at night

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:54 pm

FACEBOOK POST

If my 3 yr old slept more than 30 mins it would be a 2am bedtime. #allnightpartyfor1 my oldest 2 no problems

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

It definitely does have an impact on their night sleep. 1hr 45 is a good amount of rest to be woken up from .

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

As a mother, it definitely affected my child’s night sleep. They would be up until 9-10pm even if we put them down at 7:30. From about 3 we didn’t mind if they slept but it had to be limited or we would pay the price that night.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:55 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Yes it can for some children. If my oldest slept past 2 he would be up till 10:30/11pm which means he wouldn't get enough sleep on the days I started work early.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:55 pm

FACEBOOK POST

100% it does. 2 hour day sleep equals 9pm bedtime with 1-2 wakes overnight. 1 hour sleep equals 9pm bedtime and sleep though!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:56 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Yes it sure does! I am all for promoting the needs of the child but the child also needs to maintain routines outside of our care. Late and long naps will effect their bedtime which will throw out their routine at home

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:56 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Oo this is a tough one

You want to respect parents wishes but keep the child’s best interest up front and follow policy on not waking children..

But yeah some children will be up super late if they sleep to long

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:57 pm

FACEBOOK POST

It’s unreasonable for the dept of education to put boundaries in place like this when the parent knows best for their child.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

It’s a conversation to have with families to work together for the benefit of children and families

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

I always advocate for the best interests of the child. We need to be mindful that a full sleep cycle is 90-110 minutes, so waking them without allowing a full sleep cycle can be detrimental to their sleep needs. It will not only affect their emotional well-being, but also their physical, social and cognitive well-being and development. I would always aim to work in partnership with families but facts are facts and children have rights. How would you feel if you were having a lovely sound sleep and someone started shaking you to wake up? Then to feel crappy the rest of the day.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:58 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I don’t think so… Mine still has day sleeps at daycare anywhere from an hour up to 3 hrs (very rare) and still sleeps at night… bed time is between 7/7.30pm

But if he doesn’t have a day sleep he turns into an a hole and will fall asleep eating dinner

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:59 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Of course it does. If I had a big sleep in the middle of the day and into the after noon, I probably wouldn’t be able to go to sleep early either. And at the end of the day it’s the parents call. It’s not up to us to change their routine.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:59 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Sleep promotes sleep. It’s been proven and research backs this up. If parents have a good routine as we do in care they shouldn’t have issues. Think about daycare we have a strict routine and do the same thing. We are strict but loving. We don’t just go ok come lay inn bed with me. Or I have things to do just watch tv. Or I want you to go to bed an hour early as i want my time. Parents need to work with us and see. If you have a good time of day sleep and obviously limit it and not let them sleep into the arvy then it’s not an issue I think. In centres we were not aloud to wake them. You should know your babies after a few months on their sleep also. Once they get older they still need it as they are learning non stop. Only towards end of kindy I would say cut it back or out ready for prep slowely. I have one starting prep so this term he will be up with me doing reading and puzzles etc.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:00 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Yes. The parents are correct.

My son would sleep for hours. But then not want to go for a sleep until really late at night, I ended up having to cut his sleeps. It’s horrible to do. I’ve had families do the same. I hated waking the kids. They really needed that sleep. But I know how hard it is late at night when they won’t sleep too.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:00 pm

FACEBOOK POST

The only thing that should affect it is the time of the nap. Any good routine and a child should be able to fall asleep regardless of length of sleep. Given that, there is definitely a limit within that. However, if a child needs to sleep, then that’s all there is to it. Their body needs it. They wouldn’t sleep if they didn’t need it. It’s all about find a good routine and being consistent. Toddlers usually don’t need more than 2 hours so only having 45-60 minutes sleep isn’t long enough. As long as you have that wake window, you shouldn’t face any problems.