Shopping Activities

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
muttley
Participator
Participator

Shopping Activities

Post by muttley » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi All,
I have been searching for a few days on the internet for shopping activities to do with toddlers. I have printed out some play money, some flash cards to stick onto boxes, have toy cash registers that the children can use and would like to set up a "shop" for the kids to play with. My question is, does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can do with the children? One of my parents filled out a child interest / weekend sheet saying that their child likes to go shopping amongst other things and I would like to do some activities with the children around this idea. I know I could extend it into healthy eating etc, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Thanks.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: Shopping Activities

Post by cathiek » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 pm

How about photocopying a shopping trolley clipart and providing shopping catalogues and have the children cut out pictures and glue onto the trolley. This could be done for food shopping and "fun" shopping. You could extend this by making it into an oral activity too - after they have done the cutting and gluing - ask why they would buy these things and what the would do/make with them. Depending on their choices this could lead to a cooking activity (Ie if they put milk in the trolley - you could make milkshakes, talk about where milk comes from etc,,,)
My kids often like to have a cafe set up so when the do their 'shopping' they can they create the food for the cafe.
Have fun
Cathiek

Lorina

Re: Shopping Activities

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:59 am

How about setting up a bingo shopping game.

Cut a piece of cardboard into a required size (one per child). Draw some squares on it. In each square add a picture of something you can find while shopping. Also add these pictures on separate cards for calling out. Provide counters to each child so that they can cover once the picture is called out. Instead of saying "bingo" when all the pictures are covered, they could say something like "cash or credit"... :giggle:

:cheers:,
L.A