Should i do a diploma?

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Should i do a diploma?

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi, im currently a few weeks off finnishing my cert III qualification and im already thinking about starting my diploma. I want to do it through a private college where im doing my cert III now which is a combination of face-to-face study and correspondance. Does anyone have any advice for me in relation to starting my diploma? Im only 18 years old but im so passionate about childcare that id love to be qualified as soon as possible, I can see myself as a room leader or maybe even a director? Is the pay much different to a cert III wage when you have your diploma?
Any replies will be appreciated :)
thanks everyone! x

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Should i do a diploma?

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 pm

yes yes yes
do it hun
if u r passionate about childcare then go for it, age is of no consequence whatsoever, a Diploma will mean u can advance to group leader positions and once u r done u can even be consisdered for a Director
I have just finished my Diploma and am now going on to start Uni in Nov.
Wages well dont know if it varies state to state but you will def earn more with a Diploma, not much more but more!
Wages also differ centre to centre but id say with a Diploma you should be earning about min $21/hr if not more
I was a GL with Cert III studying my Diploma and I was earning $22/hr but I was getting 10% more because I had a Montessori Diploma and another 10% more for working for this particular centre so I was getting heaps more than award wage!

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks so much for your reply! yeah ive been researching it and i think im going to do it :) im so excited. I love working in childcare regardless of the wages. Thanks for all your help fefe! :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:52 am

Good Luck with it, I am sure you will enjoy it .... another thing to think of is you want to go on to do a degree in Education having a Diploma will give you one years credit so you will only need to study 3 out of 4 years.
Im starting mine in Nov

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Shmollie,

Happy to know that you are going to do your diploma. That is great! And you are only 18! (i envy you lol)

It is good that you are planning ahead and you are preparing yourself for higher education. I always tell everyone who are wanting to further their education to "Go ahead! If you are ready to study more, you should!". When you think about it, it is also safer in terms of career vise when you have more qualification. The reason being, childcare is becoming an important industry now and having more qualification will help you to get further in your career..

I can see myself as a room leader or maybe even a director?

Diploma is definetly a good start. Once you complete your diploma, maybe you can even consider going further with the studies to do an advanced diploma or even a Bachelor of Education. Especially if you want to be a director one day..So there are different ways you can strengthen your career.

Is the pay much different to a cert III wage when you have your diploma?

Pay is definitely different. Also with diploma, your pay goes up when you reach each step after your completion. Have a read through this article in our site that will give you an idea on "Childcare Wages in Australia".

Wish you all the best!

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi - just dropping in to emphasise what the others have said- Go for it! the profession needs young, passionate newbies like you to keep the spark going. I am 38 and just doing my Diploma now...did it upside down with lots of experience, and only now formalising the qualification. Welcome aboard- its the best forum ever here. :)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:08 pm

gday shmollie_hollie,

I agree with all the comments here...if you are ready, go for it! Its never too young or too late to study...and if you are passionate about something, you should not hold back! Just go with your instincts and remember - education will always help you no matter how old you get.

Also I found a topic here with discussions on wages in childcare, how the step system works after you get your diploma, etc..etc. This could help: Childcare Wages?

Best of luck!

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 pm

shmollie_hollie,
Yes Yes Yes!! Is all I can say. I am 48 years old and am 1/2 way through my diploma. It's a struggle balancing everything sometimes but I love it. I am learning so much. This course is making me a better Early Childhood Educator.. I envy your age and enthusiasm, you obviously love what you are doing. You go for it girl, I wish I had done it earlier..
Good Luck

Jules

sonya

Post by sonya » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm

yes i nearly 42 and just started doing my diploma also

kalpana

Post by kalpana » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 am

Yes,but its depends upon you because worker and room leader having same responbilities in childcare centre,

cassie

Post by cassie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi,
Yes I think that you should start the diploma now while you are still young and have time to complete it!

I just completed my diploma last year and I am still very young, and I am so glad that I completed it now!

Good luck with making the decision!

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Yes do it!

I don't think it matters what age you are. I am 17 and am half way through my Diploma, I am loving it, can't wait to finish! You sould definatly start now, I found it good to start straight after my cert 3 because I was still in study mode, and it was also all still fresh in my mind!!