HLTHIR403B Work Effectively with Culturally Diverse Clients and Co-Workers

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
hayley

HLTHIR403B Work Effectively with Culturally Diverse Clients and Co-Workers

Post by hayley » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Good Afternoon, i hope you are well. I have some final questions on this module i would like some ideas on:
The “culture” of Australia is a “dynamic social phenomenon” - what does this statement mean and how is culture dynamic?

Describe the different types of diversity that may be apparent in the clients and colleagues that you work with.
Cultural diversity refers to the many different cultures that make up a society??? could that be an idea?

What efforts are you aware of that are being made in Australia to meet various cultural practices that are relatively new for our society?

When you meet someone who is clearly from a culture you know little about or
have little real experience e.g. Aboriginal, how do you know how to behave with them so that you don’t offend? What type of social expectations would you have for an Aboriginal person (or other cultural group you may choose)?

Discrimination is when a person or a group is treated less favourably than another person or group because of a range of reasons – can you identify some of these?

What is equal employment opportunity and what are the implications for work and social practices?

What does your service/centre do to ensure a culturally safe environment? Where
could you get further assistance external to the service/centre in relation to cultural diversity issues?

HAYLEY WICKE
:mrgreen:

Lorina

Re: HLTHIR403B Work Effectively with Culturally Diverse Clients and Co-Workers

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:53 am

Hi HAYLEY,
The “culture” of Australia is a “dynamic social phenomenon” - what does this statement mean and how is culture dynamic?

I think in this sentence, "Dynamic" actually means "Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress". So I guess the above statement means that the culture of Australia is a social phenomenon that has been continously changing and progressing...does it make sense?

Describe the different types of diversity that may be apparent in the clients and colleagues that you work with.
Cultural diversity refers to the many different cultures that make up a society??? could that be an idea?

Isint this question just asking about the different types of diversities you may notice with clients and colleagues at work? "cultural diversity" is a start and you can add on it.. This is what I understand, diversities can be anything. Some common diversities you may find among people are:

1) people are from different places - Cultural Diversity (ofcourse).

2) People have different education - Academic Diversity

3) Different Language - Language Diversity

4) Different Religion

5) Different Gender

6) Different Age

7) Different Race

I think the list of diversities can keep going..hopefully the above gives you some more ideas..

What efforts are you aware of that are being made in Australia to meet various cultural practices that are relatively new for our society?

When you meet someone who is clearly from a culture you know little about or
have little real experience e.g. Aboriginal, how do you know how to behave with them so that you don’t offend? What type of social expectations would you have for an Aboriginal person (or other cultural group you may choose)?

Discrimination is when a person or a group is treated less favourably than another person or group because of a range of reasons – can you identify some of these?

What is equal employment opportunity and what are the implications for work and social practices?

What does your service/centre do to ensure a culturally safe environment? Where
could you get further assistance external to the service/centre in relation to cultural diversity issues?

Did you try researching for the above questions yet? I dont understand what you are having trouble with. Can you post your answers so far and your understandings for these questions so we can let you know if you are on the right track or not...

I am also attaching "Australia's Multicultural Policy" here to get you started..

[attachment=0]people-of-australia-multicultural-policy-booklet.pdf[/attachment]

Also hayley, I have noticed that you havent got back with the assignment module number for the previous topic you had created. Can you please reply with the module number for this topic: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... 2030#p2030

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony
Participator
Participator

Post by Harmony » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi,
I'm stuck with:

I have Equal Employment opportunity is ensuring that all employees have equal ccess to the opportunities that are available at work by making sure that workplaces are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination and harassment.

What are the implications for work and social practices?

Harmony
Participator
Participator

Post by Harmony » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Actually never mind, I have already asked this question elsewhere on here and it has already been answered! Thanks