Sorin/Emotional and social literacy

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Mumtotwo

Sorin/Emotional and social literacy

Post by Mumtotwo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCPR502E
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Im studying my diploma online with TAFE and have to answer the following question - Which explanation best describes Sorin’s (1998) term, ‘Emotional and Social Literacy’?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I have read through all the weekly tutorials they have online, googled Sorin's theories etc and looked through my frameworks for learning and development (recommended reading) but cant find anything on sorrin OR Emotional and social literacy. Its a multi choice question which does make it easier (3 options 1 attempt) - can anyone point me in the direction of WHERE I can find this information?

Description and Message:
I have read through all the weekly tutorials they have online, googled Sorin's theories etc and looked through my frameworks for learning and development (recommended reading) but cant find anything on sorrin OR Emotional and social literacy. Its a multi choice question which does make it easier (3 options 1 attempt) - can anyone point me in the direction of WHERE I can find this information?
Thanks heaps :(

Lorina

Re: Sorin/Emotional and social literacy

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:57 pm

I can't find anything either. Only thing I can find is related to fears in early childhood...What is the question? Maybe we can get an idea from the question itself...

Sorry cant be of more help,

:geek:,
L.A

Mumtotwo

Post by Mumtotwo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

The question is multi choice so I have included the options:

Which explanation best describes Sorin’s (1998) term, ‘Emotional and Social Literacy’?
The ability to use only verbal language when socializing and expressing emotions.
The ability to understand and interact in a social environment and to express or control one’s emotions.
The ability to express emotions in a social setting that is not culturally bound.
I will have a look at the link you posted and see if there are any answers on there, I found a list of her documents which were dated but there was nothing for 1998 so I started reading everything that looked to relate to Emotional or social literacy but its a lot of reading to find one of these three options. I have tried my Karen Kearns text books but cant find anything on Sorin :(

gmccul

Post by gmccul » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Do you remember the answer to this question? I too have read so much stuff and really cannot find the answer!!

Any help would be appreciated.

jorkarcou

Post by jorkarcou » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Did you end up finding the answer to this one.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:28 am

I just found this:
EMOTIONAL LITERACY is the ability to recognize, understand and appropriately express our emotions. Just as verbal literacy is the basic building-block for reading and writing, emotional literacy is the basis for perceiving and communicating emotions. Becoming emotionally literate is learning the alphabet, grammar and vocabulary of our emotional lives.

Ref: http://www.feel.org/emotional_literacy.php

I have no idea if it is related to Sorin or not but so far that's all I can find...

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 am

I just found it! Been stuck on this question previously so happy that it can finally be resolved!

Emotional Literacy In Early Childhood by Sorin

This should help with your question,

L.A