Risk Assessment Question

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Ness-C

Risk Assessment Question

Post by Ness-C » Mon May 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: HLTWHS003 Health and Safety 2
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Pam (3.9 years) is an active toddler who loves to explore and climb. Today her interest was stimulated by beetles crawling up the truck of a tree. To investigate further, Pam dragged a large hollow block over to the tree, stood on it and was able to reach the lowest tree branch. More children noticed what Pam was doing and together the children were attempting to climb onto this branch when the Educator intervened, assisting Sam and the other children to observe the beetles without risking injury to them.
a. The type of beetles Pam is interested in – potentially dangerous – low risk
b. The type of beetles Pam is interested in – potentially dangerous – high risk
c. Soft fall or no Soft fall – Low risk
d. Soft fall or no Soft fall – High risk
e. Texture of the tree Pam is climbing may cause scratches – Medium risk
f. Texture of the tree Pam is climbing may cause scratches – low risk
g. Standing on a block under the tree that is not fixed equipment – High risk
h. Standing on a block under the tree that is not fixed equipment – Low risk

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I have been looking at the risk assessment matrix on page 3: http://www.cscentral.org.au/Resources/n ... t-tool.pdf

I believe that standing on non-fixed equipment is a HIGH risk act, the texture of the tree is MEDIUM, the soft fall is LOW and as the beetles are listed as "potentially dangerous" this is HIGH risk. Am I on the right track?

Description and Message:
Hi, first poster here so not sure if I have filled this out properly but I am struggling to answer this question as I feel there could be a lot of personal conjecture on whether risks are likely to occur, and their subsequent impact. Am I on the right track here? Is there anything else that I should be looking at which may help?

Lorina

Re: Risk Assessment Question

Post by Lorina » Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 pm

I would agree with your response... Yes, you're on the right track...

:geek:,
L.A