OHS - Building a Childcare Centre

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jennyjaz29

OHS - Building a Childcare Centre

Post by Jennyjaz29 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi. I have this first question that its relevant to the beginning of setting up a childcare centre.
What aspects of the environment are we monitoring?
Imagine you are interested in purchasing land on which to build a childcare centre. What issues or factors relating to health and safety would you consider before you purchase land to build a childcare centre?
Price is, of course, perhaps the over-riding-factor -in the real world. However, suppose you do have sufficient money. You are determined that your service will not only meet the safety requirements set out in the Children's Services Regulation 2004 (or more recent version) but will also provide a model of best practice with relation to health and safety. Remember, you need to meet the safety requirements set out in the Children's Services Regulations.
What factors would you need to consider?

It is a difficult question for me, apparently involved a lot of factors. Could you please help me here. Thanks.

Module: OHS. Establish and Maintain a safe and healthy environment

Lorina

Re: OHS - Building a Childcare Centre

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Jennyjaz29,

I’ve got some information that you can use with your assignment…

Q1 - What aspects of the environment are we monitoring?

a) Building safety, relative to the building’s construction, design, layout, positioning etc.
b) Safety and security provided by containment systems such as the centre’s grounds, fences, gates etc.
c) Physical hazards in and about the centre. Such as traffic, equipment, hanging points, things that can cause people to trip over, blind corners etc.
d) Protection from other risks – such as pollution, allergens, excessive noise, infections, stored chemicals etc.

Q2 - What issues or factors relating to health and safety would you consider before you purchase land to build a childcare centre?

Zoning Requirements
Check with local authorities (city, county and state) to determine zoning ordinances and whether you can build the type of childcare centre you want before committing to buying the land. Ask about future zoning, whether there are plans to put in shopping centers or airports, or to change nearby land uses that could also devalue your land.

Smells and Sounds
Realize that you might be trading exhaust fumes from city buses or vechiles. Sound pollution plays an importat role because as part of a childcare centre the children require periods of rest and with sound pollution that cannot be possible.

Natural Hazards
Obtain a natural hazard disclosure and look for soil problems. A disclosure will tell you if the land is a protected habitat, which would prohibit building. Is the area a known fire hazard or can it be proned to server thunderstorms, flooding etc.

Elevation
If the land is located near hills, how likely is the land to move? Some slab foundations can crack if the land is unstable. Find out if your parcel lies within the path of a potential landslide. For construction near bodies of water, you might want to consider building a raised foundation.

Easements
If access to your land is provided by driving across an adjoining parcel, you should obtain an easement and make sure it is recorded. Find out who maintains the roads and what your prorata share might cost for upkeep.

Utilities
Water is important. Not all water is potable. Sometimes water rights don't "run with the land," which would mean you could not dig a well. Find out the depth of your water table and determine the difficulty of digging. Is the ground mostly rock? It can be costly to bring electricity, telephone or cable services to the property if they are not already established nearby. Will you need to install a propane tank? Consider a generator for back-up during power outages. If you cannot hook up to a sewer, what will it cost to install a septic system?

What factors would you need to consider? (in regards to Children’s Service Regulations).

a) Facilities and Equipment requirements
b) Laundry
c) Craft Preparation Facilities
d) Food Preparation Facilities
e) Toilets and Washing
f) Nappy Change Facilities
g) Sleeping Facilities
h) Storage Facilities
i) Development and Play Equipment
j) Ventalation, Light and Heating
k) Fencing
l) Glass
m) Cleanliness, maintenece and repairs

Here is a link to the Children’s Service Regulations: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fullh ... pt.2-div.1

I suggest you read through the factors listed above in the Regulations and write a brief description (couple of sentences) of what safety requirements are required for each. The information you find here will help you with the last part of your question…

Yes, you’re right there are a lot of factors involved :wink:

:geek:,
L.A

Jennyjaz29

Re: OHS - Building a Childcare Centre

Post by Jennyjaz29 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:57 pm

OMG. Thank you. You are great. I will have a read at the legislation and do as you told me. I am so glad I found you, :)