LA017397 - Scenario: James, Max and Tom

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ameljor

LA017397 - Scenario: James, Max and Tom

Post by ameljor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: LA017397 Legal Cluster
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
This is an off the job assignment and I am to answer the questions regarding the scenario below.

James is 4yrs old and attends the local education and care service Monday to Friday. James has a younger brother Tom who is 2yrs old and stays at home and an older brother Max 10yrs who attends the local school .James has always been a pleasant boy with many friends but recently his behaviour has changed. He is aggressive with all the children including his friends. You have asked his family if they know of any reason why James is behaving this way. They explain that an older cousin Tony has come to stay with them but he loves James and cannot see how this would have a negative effect on his behaviour. Mum who is from Iran and speaks limited English said “money very tight since James’s dad had accident and not work much, so Tony staying to help so she can do night work and try and bring in some more money.”
Today James is at the lunch table when another child accidently spills water over James. James yells at the child and attempts to punch him. You stop James and ask him to get his bag so you can assist him to change into dry clothes whilst another educator ensures the other child is ok. James gets his bag but states very clearly he does not want your help. You respect this but standby near the bathroom to ensure he is safe. As you check to see if James is ok you notice as he pulls his shorts down some large bruising on his thigh.

a) What is your immediate response?

b) List the indicators of harm.

c) List the rick factors.

d) Will you make a report? Why or why not?

e) Will the parent be notified? Explain why or why not.

f) Using a child focused approach explain how you will communicate with the child.

g) What cultural considerations would you need to be aware of and what strategies would you implement?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I have attempted to answer b and c, I have read over my course notes many times and am still feeling a little lost. I do have a vague idea of what I am doing, yet would really appreciate knowing if I am going in the right direction. :)

b) List the indicators of harm.
Large bruising on thigh.
Aggressive behaviour.

c) List the rick factors.
Mother not home in the evenings and is therefore not able to exercise adequate supervision.
Father not working much due to accident.
Older cousin staying with family to help out.

Description and Message:
I am particularly stuck on what my immediate response would be, as there is nothing in my notes to guide me.
Also the cultural consideration, what would these be and what strategies would I implement.
Basically the whole thing!!! :|
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Mandatory Reporting

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:35 am

Your immediate response basically means what would you do then and there if you were faced in that situation. Maybe you can provide support and understanding saying something like:

"I can see you are feeling very angry right now but hurting others in not OK. Even if you feel that they did something wrong hurting doesn't make it right. Once you are ready, you can join the rest of us at lunch table and check if Tom is alright. I am here to help you if you need me".

I don't think it's necessary to make a report right away. There isn't enough substantial evidence to prove that he is being abused. However you can keep a note on his behaviour patterns and the bruise that has been noticed.

Yes you can tell the parents of the incident so they are aware of the behaviour being displayed at the centre with peers.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:41 am

For cultural considerations check out the following:

http://iranian.com/posts/view/post/2434 (just to give you a comparison)
http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/julyaugu ... iesma.html

:geek:,
L.A

ameljor

Post by ameljor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am

Thank you Lorina, this is a great help. :)