HLTHIR403C - Scenario: Gemma

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Tabitha

HLTHIR403C - Scenario: Gemma

Post by Tabitha » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: assesment 2 HLTHIR403C
Work Effectively with Culturally Diverse Clients and Co-Workers
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Read the following story, and then answer the questions.

In your work place, you find that one of the centres workers (Joe) is making racially and religiously-biased remarks about another staff member (Gemma). This has come to your attention as Gemma is very upset but feels unable to speak to the Manager. When asked why they have not spoken to the Manager or the person the response was that Gemma viewed them as friends and feared for her job.

1. List strategies you would use to resolve the problem.
2. State the reasons behind the use of this strategy

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I thought I would inform Gemma that Joe is breaking a law as it is illegal under the ant discrimination act to discriminate someone on their race and/ or religious beliefs. I could offer to help Gemma talk to the manager, but I am not really sure as it could cause a conflict of interest. I could ask her if she could just quietly ask Joe why he/she is making these comments as the comments are upsetting and causing disharmony which the children can pick up on. As educators, we need to set a good example for the children, if they see that Joe can get away with making these comments they can follow with the belief that it is acceptable.

The reasons are that she may need some moral support. She may not know that it is illegal under the anti discrimination act.

Description and Message:
Hey, I only have this question for this unit before I can submit it, Would appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

Thank you

Tabitha

Lorina

Re: HLTHIR403C Work Effectively with Culturally Diverse Clients and Co-Workers

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 am

Maybe you can say something along the lines of offering support to Gemma since she is genuinely upset over this issue. Since you are aware of this issue you and Gemma can both approach the manager and speak to the manager about this issue and both get it resolved.... Sometimes it's hard for people to go and discuss the matter openly with others. They may feel intimidated so they need some support to help them resolve their issues.

Hope this helps;

:geek:,
L.A

Tabitha

Re: HLTHIR403C - Scenario: Gemma

Post by Tabitha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:54 am

Thank you Lorina :)

That helps heaps.