Helping New Parents and Educators settle into a Centre

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tracy_75*

Helping New Parents and Educators settle into a Centre

Post by tracy_75* » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Design Collaborative Programs
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge

Your Question?
"How can we support parents and/or educators in their use of a child care service?"

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Basically my understanding is; how do we welcome new families and educators into a centre?

I have broken the question into to parts:

For helping parents to settle into a centre i have got:
Approachable, professional staff (Educators should be friendly and approachable at all times. Share specific information about their child's interests or involvements) + an example

Family Events: If children and their families talk about events such as a birthday, birth of a baby or a family holiday, follow it up after the event by asking how it went? Is the new baby beautiful? Do you have any photos? Did Nanna enjoy her surprise party? Etc. This helps children and families feel like they are valued members of the centre community and reassures families that their children are being cared for n=by inclusive and interested Educators.

Noticeboard: A noticeboard in a central location is a way of ensuring that parents feel welcome. The noticeboard can have a welcome message to new families at the centre, updates of current activities at the centre or any other information that new families might find relevant e.g. community workshops or morning teas etc.

Description and Message:
Okay so i have nothing for educators but im thinking things like:
Allow them to ease in slowly (dont overload them with too much information or work during the initial settling in period)

Encourage all Educators to make the New Educator feel welcome (if staff at the centre are a close knit group they can go out to tea on a friday night to welcome new staff etc

Place name labels on the children in the room's clothing so the new educator has an idea of who each child is.

Pair them up with an educator that is established in the room (so they can ask them any questions they may have etc) this is also relevant for programming sessions so that the new educator isnt thrown in at the deep end.

Give them copies of relevant policies and procedures to look at, at their leisure.

Any more help on the parents dot point and the Educator dot point would be AMAZING!!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

debzo
Participator
Participator

Re: Helping New Parents and Educators settle into a Centre

Post by debzo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:49 am

I think you are on the right track :) . Perhaps you could add: Taking the new educator around and introducing her/him to everyone in person, also having a formal induction process. Encourage educators from different cultures to share their culture in their room or in the centre generally.

For parents you could add that there should be a parent handbook. Greeting and farewelling all parents is important even if their particular educators are not present. Birthday displays (with each child's birthday marked).Including cultural material from a child's particular background is important, also asking the family to send in things from their culture and learning a few words or songs. Hope that helps.

tracy_75*

Re: Helping New Parents and Educators settle into a Centre

Post by tracy_75* » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 am

Thank you so much. i hadnt thaought of the b'day display :)