Feedback on answer about theorists?

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
KatyAkachan

Feedback on answer about theorists?

Post by KatyAkachan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:24 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCvmonstrating Play, Learning and Development 1
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Question: How does your understanding of theories/theorists inform you as an educator? You will need to identify in detail relevant theories/theorists and provide an understanding of them.

Marking Guide instruction: The student has identified what theories/theorists inform their role as an educator.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I believe that my role as an educator is mainly similar to that of a guide. I believe in supporting children's creativity and personal development, social and life skills, as well as preparing the child for academic achievement. I feel that giving the child the freedom to choose their own style of play is very important, but that an educator can be a vital component in extending the child's play into an area of concentrated learning. As an early childhood educator in Australia, my approach is also influenced by the fundamentals of the EYLF and the NQS. I feel that I identify as an educator with parts of different educational approaches, such as Waldorf Steiner and Reggio Emilia.

Both the Waldorf and Reggio approach appreciate the significance of a beautiful and natural learning environment (Mitchell, n.d.; Reggio Kids, 2013). The Reggio approach goes so far as to call the environment a “third teacher” that produces a feeling of “belonging in a world that is alive, welcoming and authentic” (Malaguzzi, 1994 cited in Reggio Kids, 2013). I identify with the encouragement of creativity and expression of imagination that the Waldorf approach involves, as well as the incorporation of child-appropriate domestic, practical and artistic activities (Mitchell, n.d.). The Reggio approach ties into this concept in that it recognises the child as a competent individual with their own ideas (Reggio Kids, 2013). Both theories value the child as their own person who can think, explore, imagine, and create in their own very special way. These two theories have a focus on life skills, social development and fostering the child as an individual rather than making sure the child ticks particular academic boxes (Mitchell, n.d.; Reggio Kids, 2013). I recognise the importance of academics in early childhood development, but I think that at such an early age there are more important things than a child knowing how to do maths problems and say their “ABC's” in a traditional, structured manner. The focus that the Reggio approach has on collaboration between the child, and the teachers, parents and other carers is also something that I identify strongly with (Reggio Kids, 2013).

Description and Message:
We had an assignment about theorists, and I somehow managed to miss answering one of the questions (derp). Anyway, I'm allowed to resubmit this assignment but I'm feeling unsure about the answer to the question that I missed. Feedback please? :thumbup:

Lorina

Re: Feedback on answer about theorists?

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am

It is a well thought out response which you answered in detail. The only thing I'd suggest is that you provide examples of how you as an educator will incorporate the ideas of the theorists you mentioned. For example:
[quote]... incorporation of child-appropriate domestic, practical and artistic activities (Mitchell, n.d.)/quote]
By providing opportunities for children to develop their independence and self help skills through experiences such as setting the table for meals, cleaning tasks such as wiping tables, sweeping the floor etc...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

P.S Sorry for my late reply my daughter has been very sick with a viral infection for the past week...

KatyAkachan

Re: Feedback on answer about theorists?

Post by KatyAkachan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I already handed the assignment in (d'oh) but I'm relieved to hear that I was on the right track with my answer. Thank you!