Encouraging Basic Mathematical Concepts

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
derach

Encouraging Basic Mathematical Concepts

Post by derach » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Scenario
CHCFC505A, Provide for children's developmental needs
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge

Your Question?
The group of children who are going to school soon seem to be having difficulty with basic mathematical concepts of counting, sorting and grouping. Due to parental requests, you have decided to use the daily routines to support this learning.
a) how would you explain this to your assistant?
b) what changes to the routines would you make to encourage more mathematical concept building with the children

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
a) dicussing with her about the stages each child is at with their mathematical concepts and then notifying her that some paretns have requested that their children be supported to master the concept. then i would give her the opportunity to express her idea on ways in which we can support the children's learning. afterwards i would then share my ideas and together as a team we would implement them
b) grouptime routine- using number flashcard, playing counting games( 5 currant buns), Gather together a basket of small toys, shells, pebbles or buttons. Count them with the children. Sort them based on size, color, or what they do (i.e., all the cars in one pile, all the animals in another).

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Scenario

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 am

Good Respose! :thumbup:

You just don't have to limit it to just group time for the children to develop mathematical understanding. You can encourage these skills throughout various times during the day. Transitions (sing number songs such as 5 cheeky monkeys, 12345 once I caught a fish alive, 10 in the bed etc), during meal times (getting children to count as they set the table, how may children, how many bowls), set up a mathematical learning station within the room so children have access to practice skills such as sorting etc, outside games (count how many times ball is thrown and caught etc).

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas, '

:geek:,
L.A

derach

Re: Encouraging Basic Mathematical Concepts

Post by derach » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks Lorina. I'll add some of your suggestions to my answer. Thanks :)