Develop Cultural Competence

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Victoria85

Develop Cultural Competence

Post by Victoria85 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:28 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCECE001 Develop Cultural Competence
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
In this unit I am required to complete a table using NQF documents NQS;EYLF.

My understanding is to reference sections of these documents to the elements in the left column in the table. There is one which is already filled in for me as an example. In this example they have referenced one standard from the NQS and 2 pages from the EYLF.

My issue is this- when looking into the performance criteria for a particular element in the table I'm trying to complete I am dissecting the NQS to a point where I can reference several NQS Standards to one element (in one particular element I have 4 standards). I haven't even begun referencing the EYLF yet as I just can't get past the NQS.

I was after advice on if I'm on the right track or if I should only be referencing one standard (as they have done in their example) which best suits the element?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Here is my progress so far after searching through the NQS and choosing the standards which I believe suit the performance criteria of the element:

ELEMENT
Reflect on own cultural identity and biases
NQS STANDARD
1.2, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, 7.2

ELEMENT
Research Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities
NQS STANDARD

ELEMENT
Support individual cultural identities
NQS STANDARD
1.1, 5.2

ELEMENT
Create environments to support children's cross-cultural understanding and relationships
NQS STANDARD
1.1, 1.2, 3.1, 3.1 (not yet finished)

ELEMENT
Support the implementation of inclusive learning experiences
NQS STANDARD
(Not yet finished)

Description and Message:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've just started studying Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50113) by correspondence.

I am doing unit 'CHCECE001 Develop Cultural Competence'.

My answers don't look like much .. But I have spent hours and hours and hours going over and over and over it

Thank you in advance,

Vicki

Lorina

Re: Develop Cultural Competence

Post by Lorina » Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 am

Hi Vicki,

I'm sorry I missed this question....

Anyways, I'm currently using the Draft NQS to match them up with the standards you mentioned in your question... The elements I have are a little different to what you had suggested in your response. For example:

Reflect On Own Cultural Identity & Biases - I have element 1.2.2: Every Child Is Supported To Participate In The Program

Research Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders - I have element 6.4.1: The Service Participates In The Community & Demonstrates Respect For Families & Communities

Support Individual Cultural Identities - I have quality area 5: Relationships With Children

Create Environments To Support Children's Cross-Cultural Understanding & Relationships - I have element 1.1.1: The EYLF Guides Curriculum Decision Making & Enables Each Child's Learning In The 5 Outcomes

Support The Implementation Of Inclusive Learning Experiences - I have element 3.2.1: Outdoor and Indoor Spaces Are Designed & Organized To Engage Every Child In Quality Experiences….

I don't necessarily think there is a right or wrong answer for this question, to me you just need to find the one which best fits. Of course so many elements can fit into each of the standards but you just have to narrow it down…

I do apologise for missing your question…

Hopefully this helps you out,

:geek:,
L.A