CHCPR510A - How Your Observation & Assessment Tools Guide Your Programming

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
rikkay85

CHCPR510A - How Your Observation & Assessment Tools Guide Your Programming

Post by rikkay85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi,
I'm currently studying through ECTARC, for my assignment question for Design, implement and evaluate programs and care routines for children asks "How your observation and assessment tools guide your programming". I'm not sure what they mean by assessment tools. I understand what observation is and how we use to program and plan for the children but I feeling in the dark for the tools. I would love any help as every time I speak with a training officer they just tell me I'm on the right track and don't help at all.
Thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCPR510A - How Your Observation & Assessment Tools Guide Your Programming

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 am

Hi Rikkay,

Training officers aren’t much help even though they make out to be a great source of information… Lucky you found this site….hehehehe…. Back to the question…

"How your observation and assessment tools guide your programming"

When talking about assessment tools it is probably referring to any of the following:

- Daily Routine – Parts of the daily routine can be included into your program such as what to do during transitions between activities, which can be used as an assessment tool to determine what you are going to do during that time.

- Family input - Any suggestion you receive should be included on your program. This guides your programming by incorporating children’s family experiences from home to daycare.

- Spontaneous experiences – The spontaneous experiences which arise during the day could be used as an assessment tool to determine the children’s current interests and activities they enjoy.

- Observations – You already know! 

- Weekly Program Evaluation – Even though it’s probably rarely done nowadays, a program evaluation is a great assessment tool which can be done to guide programming. Basically you write up an honest description on how the program went. For e.g. did all children engage in the activities you set up, were you able to interact with all children etc.

- Room Setup – Observe the children in the room. See if there are any changes that are needed. Are there opportunities for individual and small group play, are all areas working, are there opportunities for free choice activities etc. This can guide your programming to determine what resources or equipment needs changing.

- Daily Diary – From the daily diary you can use it as an assessment tool to include activities or experiences to extend on the children’s learning and any emerging interests (such as spiders, dinosaurs, insects etc.) that may have arisen from that particular day.

From my understanding I believe that all of the above can be used as an assessment tool to guide your programming.

Hopefully this sheds some light at the end of the tunnel… :P

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

rikkay85

Re: CHCPR510A - How Your Observation & Assessment Tools Guide Your Programming

Post by rikkay85 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Thank you so much for all your help L.A you are a god send