CHCFC503A - Encouraging Children To Maintain & Establish Friendships

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
manjot
Participator
Participator

CHCFC503A - Encouraging Children To Maintain & Establish Friendships

Post by manjot » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: FOSTER SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT IN THE CHIILDREN PLEASE HELP
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
1. Read the scenario and identify the strategies used by the educator to support the development of relationships with peers. (100 - 150 words)

2. If you were the educator, identify additional strategies that you would use in this situation to encourage all the children to establish and maintain friendship. (100 - 150 words)
3. Plan 2 experiences (use template provided) that include a discussion with a group of 4-5 year olds
• promoting moral development i.e. the difference between right and wrong
• developing pro social skills i.e. including children from other cultures in play experiences
I Like
The preschoolers love to play the ‘I like’ game. Each child is given a small photograph of themself. In turn the children place their picture on the flannel board and match it to a picture of something they like from a group of pictures placed on the board by the practitioner. These pictures may include food, games, toys, colours, etc.
The game starts:
“My name is Ramon and I like apples.” Ramon places his picture next to the apples.
Next child: “His name is Ramon and he like apples. My name is Yazmin and I like tomatoes.”
Next child: “Her name is Yazmin and she likes tomatoes. My name is Rashad and I like grapes.”
Next child: “His name is Rashad and he likes grapes. My name is Clare and I like apples too.”
The game continues – the children like to challenge themselves to repeat each choice.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Strategies I would use in this situation such as:
Here are some examples of activities to support the development of friendship skills. It is very important to point out that all of these activities build on the skills needed to develop friendships and allow children opportunities to practice using these skills. They don’t just use the word “friend.” These types of activities also help in establishing a classroom atmosphere of “being friends,” sharing and helping each other out.
a. Friendship Can – During large group time, have children generate a list of different things they can do to be a friend. Introduce the “friendship can” – which is a decorated can with names of all of then children in the can. Have each child draw out a name. Children can then use their friendship skills to do something with or for their “friend” throughout the day. They can make something special for their “friend,” play with their friend, share with their friend, compliment their friend, help their friend, etc. During the day (as well as summarizing at the end of the day), children and teachers can talk about how they are using their friendship skills with their friend.
b. Planting Seeds of Friendship – Have children plant seeds (“seeds” friendship) in small cups throughout the year. As new children join the classroom, children can give them one of their “friendship cups” to welcome them to the classroom. Each “friendship cup” has a welcome note that was made by the children (along with their teacher!). To introduce this activity, tell the children that you are all going to work together to make “seeds of friendship” so that new children will feel welcome and be able to make new friends! Talk about how hard it can be to be the “new” child! Ask children what friendship skills they can use to help new children feel welcome (play with new child, share toys, help new child learn the rules, schedule, names of other children, etc.).
c. Friendship Tree/Compliment Tree – Make a big tree without leaves that can be displayed on a wall. Have leaves made from construction paper stacked by the tree. As adults and children notice others using friendship skills, write the skill that was used on a leaf and add it to the tree. At the end of the day, “celebrate” the new leaves that were added to the tree. Describe the specific friendship skills that were used each day. You can also use the same idea to make a compliment
tree.
d. Books about Friendship – Use books that talk about “friends” and what it means to be friends. Some examples are: Fox Makes Friends, The Rainbow Fish, Big Al, and Making Friends. Ask participants to share books that they have used
that Relate to Friends. Teachers can talk about what friendly behaviors the characters are using and have children guess what they think will happen next based on what the characters are doing. Teachers can also help children write a
story together or individually about friendship.
e. Friendship Quilt – Children make a quilt out of construction paper squares that hang together on the wall. Each square has pictures of children in the classroom (labeled with their names) as well as pictures of children using friendship skills like sharing, playing together, or helping each other (which are also labeled). This is a good activity to use at the beginning of the year to help children learn everyone’s name as well as friendship skills. Squares are added to the quilt as children use their new friendship skills. This is a great idea for home providers if they have children of different ages. They can make pictures that show what children can do to be a good friend based on their age and skills.
f. Friendship Journal – Create a friendship journal that has friendship skills and pictures of the children in the classroom using these skills. This journal can be added to the book area for children
to look at throughout the year.
g. Music/Songs - Teachers and children can make up songs about being friends. There are also commercial CDs that have songs about being
Friends.

Description and Message:
HI FRIENDS I HAVE TO RESUBMIT AGAIN SO CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME? THANKS A LOT
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

manjot
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCFC503A foster social development in children

Post by manjot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Lorina can you please help?

Lorina

Re: CHCFC503A

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 am

Hi Manjot,

I'm adding some attachments on how children can maintain and establish friendships. Maybe this can help you out... It also mentions something about a scenario. What is the scenario?

Ideas On Encouraging Friendships
Encouraging Social Skills

All the experiences you have added are really good! Some great ideas on how to encourage friendships however it doesn't directly answer the question. This is probably why you need to resubmit it again. Also you haven't added any experiences of group discussions regarding moral development... I'm adding another attachment to help:

[attachment=0]promoting moral development.pdf[/attachment]
Hopefully this helps you out,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manjot
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCFC503A - Encouraging Children To Maintain & Establish Friendships

Post by manjot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks LORINA that was so helpful. I couldn't understand what teacher want in this question. you make it so easy and simple. thanks so much I really appreciate it.