CHCCN520C

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kittycat
Participator
Participator

CHCCN520C

Post by kittycat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:44 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Advocate for the right and needs of children and young people
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Questions
1. What rights and needs do the children in your care have?
2. When advocating for children who will we most commonly communicate with?
3. What steps would you take if you believed a child’s right or needs were not being met?
4. How do you promote the rights, interests and needs of children?
5. As a childcare manager, how do you monitor the centre environment for discriminatory practices?
6. When children’s right and/or needs are not being met what services and support agencies are available to you and the centre and how do you access their services?
7. How do organisational standards, policies and procedures support the rights and needs of children?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Questions
1. What rights and needs do the children in your care have?
My service upholds the dignity and rights of each child to learn and grow in an environment that offers opportunities which reflect the holistic way children learn and grow in the wider world of family and community, experiencing responsive and reciprocal relationships with people, places and things. Children have the right to be provided with a safe and stable environment ensuring that the child receives the right needs and they are culturally appropriate. The dignity and rights of the child are upheld in my care by offering each child:
Dignity and respect as an individual child.
Opportunities to develop personality, talents, self-reliance and intellectual, social and physical abilities to their fullest potential.
Affirmation of their own culture, religion and language.
Equitable opportunities for full and active participation.
Opportunities for play as a vehicle for learning and for recreation.
Opportunities for rest and leisure.
Protection from physical and mental abuse or injury.
Access to a clean and protected natural environment.

2. When advocating for children who will we most commonly communicate with?
In most circumstances, mothers, fathers, family.

3. What steps would you take if you believed a child’s right or needs were not being met?
I would speak directly to my supervisor. And I would report it to higher authorities if the child was in potential risk of harm.

4. How do you promote the rights, interests and needs of children?
Support each individual child's self-esteem and pride in their family, community, and linguistic heritage.
Provides opportunities for children to discover and appreciate differences and similarities among people.
Assist children to value differences, enabling them to live together in a diverse society.
Provide appropriate opportunities for families to be involved in the curriculum process including sharing their background with others, their expectations of the service, and the opportunity to give feedback and evaluation.
Utilise the linguistic and cultural skills, as well as unique talents and knowledge of individual staff and families.

5. As a childcare manager, how do you monitor the centre environment for discriminatory practices?
Ensure that appropriate support, advice and resources are provided to staff in order to meet the needs of the families of children with special rights.
Provide opportunities for ongoing professional development that focuses on theory and practice in anti-bias, social justice and diversity.
Whenever possible qualified staff are employed to reflect equity in gender, sexuality and (dis)ability, and the cultural and social mix of the community.
Provide staff and resources to support the successful implementation of children’s services programs that honour diversity and reflect anti-bias.
Funds are provided to purchase appropriate materials/resources to support a program that honours diversity and reflects anti-bias.

6. When children’s right and/or needs are not being met what services and support agencies are available to you and the centre and how do you access their services?
Government agencies that can investigate harm/rights to a child. You access these services by calling them.

7. How do organisational standards, policies and procedures support the rights and needs of children?
??????????? any help here would be appreciated and very much needed :D

Description and Message:
Any additional information would be great...
Thank you again !!!!

kittycat
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCCN520C

Post by kittycat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:09 am

Organisational standards- by ensuring it has a strategic plan & policy & procedure guideline that supports the rights and needs of children. The policies and procedures reflect legislation and ethical standards of the rights and needs of young children. The overall quality of service delivery is dependent on the responsibility of both the organisation and the worker in following the policies that guide service delivery such as: the organisation’s strategic plan, policy documents, for example, providing services to cultural and linguistic diverse children, your job descriptions. Along with the legal documents that provide the service/organisation with protocols for: ethics in practice, duty of care guidelines which include, confidentiality, and equity and access, child protection policy, occupational health and safety guidelines.

does this sound right, im just guessing here???????????

kittycat
Participator
Participator

Post by kittycat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:49 am

This is a scenario: A small group of parents have asked if the centre could use it's computer system to video the children playing and perhaps even stream this information online. The parents could then check in on their children from work. While this is a great idea for parents you have a number of concerns that you must raise including:
Child’s Privacy
Staff Privacy
Vulnerability of children
Security of information streamed
Permission

Outline the key points you would need to make in advocating for the children of the centre.
Child’s Privacy
Staff Privacy
Permission

Ok so Im stumped once again......
Is this even allowed to be done, I would be not happy to share my child's day with other parents is this a breach of privacy.
I am not quite sure how to attack this question???
Should I break each point down and address that the child has the right to privacy and it could raise issue with others parents if they saw another child do something confronting to another their child?
Do staff really need to work being watch, it is a bit intimidating?
Again the vulnerability - confidentiality
and the security of the information shared who else will have access how safe it this a huge risk here.
And permission all parents would not agree well I wouldn't as a mum of 4 it just wrong???

Can you please guide me how to answer this question I really need help :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:39 am

kittycat wrote:7. How do organisational standards, policies and procedures support the rights and needs of children?
Organisational standards- by ensuring it has a strategic plan & policy & procedure guideline that supports the rights and needs of children. The policies and procedures reflect legislation and ethical standards of the rights and needs of young children. The overall quality of service delivery is dependent on the responsibility of both the organisation and the worker in following the policies that guide service delivery such as: the organisation’s strategic plan, policy documents, for example, providing services to cultural and linguistic diverse children, your job descriptions. Along with the legal documents that provide the service/organisation with protocols for: ethics in practice, duty of care guidelines which include, confidentiality, and equity and access, child protection policy, occupational health and safety guidelines.

does this sound right, im just guessing here???????????
Yes you're on the right track for this response!
Outline the key points you would need to make in advocating for the children of the centre.
Child’s Privacy
Staff Privacy
Permission
I found the following information:

Child Online Protection
Privacy Act
Sample Privacy Policy

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A