CHC50908: Scenario: Naema - Mum Mowing Lawn

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jasrehal

CHC50908: Scenario: Naema - Mum Mowing Lawn

Post by jasrehal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCIC511A Implement and promote inclusive policies and practices in childrens’ services
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
hi, im stuck on this question, even i don't understand what is this question ask? so can anybody help me to tell me this question in simple words because my english is not too good. the question is...........

Case scenario: Naema, the carer, is reading a book at story time. She shows the preschoolers a picture showing a mum mowing the lawn. Four year old, Christina, exclaims ‘Oh! Mum’s can also mow lawns?’. Naema realises that story books have been sending Christina the message that roles are gender defined, that is, there are men roles and there are women roles. Naema then decides to audit the centre’s collection of books and comes to the discover that most of the books made available to the children reinforce these stereotypes.

Q1. You are Naema’s room leader and she reports her findings to you. Discuss whether your service’s contemporary literature adheres to inclusive policies and practices. What needs to be done to rectify this situation?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
sorry, i couldn't understand the question...

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited, post has been edited

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: CHC50908: Diploma of Childrens’

Post by cathiek » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok, so what they are saying is all the books at their centre show females doing 'girly' things (cooking, being princesses, doing housework etc) and the boys are shown as being manly and doing things such as lawnmowing/rding motorbikes etc)
They have decided to address these issues and get in some books that show that girls can do all the boy things and vice-versa.
This way the children will not get only the stereotypical views of boys 'vs' girls and will be aware they can do anything. It will also help with play at the centre as they boys will feel fine about going in the home corner and the girls playing with trucks etc.
Hope this helps
Cathiek

jasrehal

Re: CHC50908: Diploma of Childrens’

Post by jasrehal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:08 pm

thanks so much Cathiek...