Abuse within centre (staff to child)

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
wimble
Participator
Participator

Abuse within centre (staff to child)

Post by wimble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Cluster 6
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge

Your Question?
What is the name of the department to contact in the case of alleged abuse within a centre. This case involves alleged abuse by a staff to a child.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I have looked in the regulations and law act and can't find anything. I originally put the department of communities but this is wrong, can someone point me in the right direction?

Description and Message:
This case involves a staff who allegedly dragged a child to their bed, the parent has made a complaint. The question asks which department needs to be notified in cases of alleged abuse by staff to children within early childhood setting.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Abuse within centre (staff to child)

Post by LindyT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Typed in "Report Child Abuse Queensland" and this is one of the links

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/child ... hild-abuse

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 am

This is for abuse outside of the centre, for abuse within a centre apparently (as my supervisor told me) there is another department that needs to be contacted, this i have not been able to find.

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 am

Sorry forgot to say Thanks for your help though!

ryan

Post by ryan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 am

In order to protect children who have been harmed or are at risk of harm, staff/care providers need an awareness of the physical and behavioural indicators often found in cases of abuse. It is advisable for staff/care providers to discuss concerns with the coordinator so that a decision can be made at that point if the matters should be referred to the office for Early Childhood Education and Care. The need to maintain strict confidentiality is essential. Staff/carer need to keep anecdotal records of their observations, focussing on the persistence of indicators over time and their effects. It is important to include dates and times of observations. Anecdotal records should be kept by staff/carer provide in a secure location. Directors and coordinators are encouraged to contact their EEC.
A) Document concerns or the allegation
b) Inform service Director/Coordinator
c) Director/Coordinator to inform Manager Children’s Services (MCS).
d) MCS to notify Director of Corporate Services, to notify General Manager
e) Staff member or Director/Coordinator report to the DoCS help line for mandatory reporters (13 36 27). Be prepared with details regarding the child and family
f) Families of children involved in a report may or may not be informed. This will depend on each individual situation and the safety, welfare and well being of the child is the most important determining factor.
g) Maintain confidential file of information regarding the child, the incident, your concerns, and reports made

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Thank you for your detailed response. Can you olease clarify a couple of things for me? I may be a complete nonce but what does EEC stand for? Who exactly is the manager of children's services? (docs?) The manager of Corporate Services? The general manager? Which department do these managers work for? ECEC? Docs? I appreciate your assistance.