3 commonly used resources/culturally diverse

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
rikkay85

3 commonly used resources/culturally diverse

Post by rikkay85 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi I need 3 common resources and how each resource supports culturally diverse environment and What changes could be made to the resources to ensure it does support a culturally diverse environment. When I think of common resources I think paper, paint, pencils but I don't know how they are culturally diverse or how the support culturally diverse environment. It's going over my head. Any ideas I would be heaps thankful

Lorina

Re: 3 commonly used resources/culturally diverse

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey Rikkay,

When thinking about common resources, try and think about resources or equipment that is always available to the group of children on a daily basis. Some common culturally diverse resources that I currently use at my centre are:

Baby Dolls - The baby dolls in home corner are from different multicultural backgrounds not just white baby dolls.
Pretend Food - Also in home corner I've added sushi, pizza, chopsticks, paella, noodles etc.
Visual Posters - Posters that are hanging in the room also have children and people of different cultures/costumes etc.
Musical Instruments - On the music shelf I've added instruments such as ukuleles, maracas, tambourine etc as well as pictures of musical instruments from different countries.
Dolls Clothes - The dolls clothes in my room are costumes from different countries.

These resources are always available throughout the week for my group of children to play with, within the learning environment.

When thinking about providing resources to children you can incorporate a range of multicultural items within that specific environment or for that specific activity. This can be done for babies, toddlers and preschoolers. Even though the younger ones may not understand you will still be able to provide them with toys and activities from culturally diverse background in a subtle way.

Hope this gives you a bit more of an idea :D ,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

rikkay85

Re: 3 commonly used resources/culturally diverse

Post by rikkay85 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:42 pm

thanks your a life saver. I don't think I would be able to do any of my assessments without you