Software pros & cons

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
marlichiz

Software pros & cons

Post by marlichiz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm really new to all of this but have found this site so helpful already ! I am looking into purchasing a software program to help me run my family day care business & was hoping for some feedback from anybody using a program. Just things like the ease of using it, is it cost effective, does it make complying with eylf easier & so on. If anyone has any advice for me it would be very much appreciated :thumbup:

Lorina

Re: Software pros & cons

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Marlichiz,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

Okay its hard to say if a software will be useful to you or not. It really depends on your requirement, your aim on what you want to achieve from it, as well as your budget. I have worked in a centre that used softwares and also a lot of centres who do not use softwares but instead use their own programming templates. There might be a few who may find that these softwares have helped them and may find it easy. At the same time, there are a lot of them who also find it difficult to learn or too expensive. What works for one centre might not work for another. So there is no straight answer on whether a software is good or not. But if you do consider buying a software, please do consider the following points I've given below. I have listed them so people thinking of purchasing these softwares can make an informed decision. This will help you understand on what to look for and what questions you need to ask before you go ahead spending your hard earned money on something. Hopefully this will be useful to people who may not have considered the cons of these softwares and fall for their amazing marketing strategy.

Issues with Softwares (Things to consider):

1) You need to install a special software to use their program.

2) Sometimes when you install softwares or programs, you also need to consider the risks & loss it can cause to your computer and make sure that they dont do any damage. This can happen to any softwares you purchase or install on your computer. Thats why they have the EULA agreement at the beginning that you need to accept first.

3) With softwares, you are usually restricted to use it in only 1 computer. It is common for many softwares to have limitations on the number of computers you are allowed to use it on. Usually with softwares, you need to pay more to use or install it in multiple computers. This can be an issue especially when you work from different computers such as your desktops and laptops.

4) There are paid subscriptions!! It can cost you hundreds of dollars! So there is a paid membership or purchase required.

5) Softwares can be quite expensive to purchase them. So it depends on your (or your centres) budget.

6) Just because you use a software, it doesnt mean that it will comply with the EYLF or that is the correct way of doing it. Softwares are usually created with their interpretation of EYLF and it doesnt always mean that that is the right or the only way to do it. Different people use different methods when implementing EYLF in their programs and with software, you are limited to the templates that is provided in that program.

7) You cannot customize the programming templates in softwares and you are limited to their design and template. Many times, when people start using softwares, they wish they can change a few elements in that program (may be add some fields or delete some fields in that program that may not be required for their centre) and such changes cannot be done with softwares. Each centres have different goals and requirements and a software that works best for one centre might not necessarily be useful for another. So you need to make an informed decision on that before you invest your money on it.

8) You need to spend time to learn how to use the software efficiently and it does take time. It can be hard especially if you are not too technical or used to computer programs.

9) Not all softwares are cross operating system compatible. Sometimes you can only install them on windows computers and not on Macs. You may also not be able to use them on ipads or mobile devices. So you first need to read the system requirement for that program.

10) Softwares are always being updated and new versions with security patches and bug fixes will be released. So each time you need to update it or get a newer version, it may cost you additional charges.

11) Just because you are using software it doesnt make the documentation any easier. You still need to spend time completing your daily program. Just note that software only gives you the tools to complete them, but at the end of the day the work you need to put in to complete the documentations are still there. It can take even longer to finish if you're not a tech savvy person as you try and figure out how to use it.

Consider the above points before you go about purchasing software. Use this as your checklist so you know what you need to find out to decide if that software meets your needs.

Also if you want to know alternative options for softwares, have you considered our Online Tools? We have a few programming templates that we have designed which also meets the requirements for EYLF, NQS and MTOP (for OOSH centres). If you havent checked it out, here is the link: http://aussiechildcarenetwork.com/online_tools/

Also here is the link with more info on what Online Tools are: About Online Tools

Lastly, we are also planning to create an app in the future that allows users to complete their program from any devices. Its going to be more advanced than our current Online Tools templates. When this app is released, you can even complete your programming from iPads, mobile devices, windows, macs, etc.. without any issue and you can use it from any computers and not restricted to 1. Also other features will be, you will be able to save your children's names, DOB and other data that you easily import into your program and dont need to repeat these details into each program manually. There will also be other advanced features coming with it such as saving your completed copy and retrieve them later, compile portfolios with it, etc... But again, this is a planned feature and it will take some time before we start developing them and released. We are hoping to release such a feature in 2014 (hopefully!!). Until then, our current Online Tools templates should still help out users who dont use softwares. And you always have our forum if you do need any support when completing your programming.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

marlichiz

Post by marlichiz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Wow, so much that I hadn't even thought about !!
Thanks so much for your reply I will look into things a lot more before I decide to purchase anything !
Have a great day :P

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Whenever the software VS no software issue has been raised I think people may like the ease of it and it provides a consistency throughout a centre of how things are done and documented however in saying that some times that may be the negative in it too as some people may not want to document in the format of the software or find it hard to get used to it which would make it more time consuming than time effective.
I also know that some software actually recommend activities etc to you which means educators in the room taking the easy option and not thinking themselves or out of the box about activities/experiences for the children. We should not rely on a program on a computer to tell us what is right for the children in our care!!