Recommended Books

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Recommended Books

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Are there any good books anyone would recommend for the EYLF?
I have seen a few but don't want to buy anything unless someone has used a book and found it useful.

Lorina

Re: Recommended Books

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Fefe,

Personally, I haven't bought any books regarding the EYLF but I have seen the following which are pretty useful. They are easy to understand and give a great explanation on the EYLF.

- The Early Years Learning Framework: Getting Started by Joy Goodfellow (its about $15).

- Programming and Planning in Early Childhood Settings (4th edition) by Leonie Arthur, Bronwyn Beecher, Elizabeth Death, Sue Dockett and Sue Farmer (around $107).

Early Childhood Australia has a list of books they recommend to buy in regards to the EYLF. Maybe you can check them out if your still interested. Here is the link: http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org. ... ework.html

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I did see that, i briefly saw a book from scholastic which had reproducable (sp??!! cant spell today!) sheets etc in it too which i thought could be handy but cant find the book on their website
grrr

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 pm

' Programming and Planning in Early Childhood Settings (4th edition) by Leonie Arthur, Bronwyn Beecher, Elizabeth Death, Sue Dockett and Sue Farmer " - i have this book. it is a wordy text but i am finding it fresh and modern and helpful in demystifying the ELYF.

fifi31

Post by fifi31 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Fefe

I ordered this book called "Assessment for Learning" by Bridie Raban which is about how to document and plan for EYLF, its fantastic and essential resource for all educators. It has been written to provide a point of reference in relation to the assessment for learning process described in the Early Years Learning Framework.
The Chapters deal with different aspects of the process, focussing on documentation, planning, evaluation, assessment and reflection. Bridie says that different early childhood settings will approach this in different ways. There is no one set format that will suit all purposes or occassions, and so each section concludes with things to think about that will help you and your colleagues decide how to set about these activities in ways that best reflect your philosophy, your children and their families, and the communities you engage with and belong to. Its about $35.00 I think. I hope this helps.

jstsyess

Post by jstsyess » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:20 am

Hi everyone

Need help with linking a theorist to cognitive development?
The child I’m observing has Cerebral Palsy aged 8 in mainstream school.
confined to a wheelchair whilst in school, has a poor attention span especially in a large group i.e classroom, but when given time will answer questions with 95% accuracy. gets frustrated easily.. (Dont we all..)

Has anyone got any ideas which theorist i could try?
It's almost like he's bored with the repetivness of the lessons..? but hey that’s just me making assumptions jumping to conclusions.

Is there a certain theorist that deals with disabilities?

Am i thinking to deep? Is it time for bed.

Any input would be sooo helful

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Outdoor Play - Play in the Early Years by Sue Durant & Bridie Raban is all about EYLF best practice and I'm using it all the time - heaps of great easy ideas. There are 2 others in this series published by Teaching Solutions called Discovery Play and Role Play which are on my wish list too!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:18 pm

jstsyess wrote:Hi everyone

Need help with linking a theorist to cognitive development?
The child I’m observing has Cerebral Palsy aged 8 in mainstream school.
confined to a wheelchair whilst in school, has a poor attention span especially in a large group i.e classroom, but when given time will answer questions with 95% accuracy. gets frustrated easily.. (Dont we all..)

Has anyone got any ideas which theorist i could try?
It's almost like he's bored with the repetivness of the lessons..? but hey that’s just me making assumptions jumping to conclusions.

Is there a certain theorist that deals with disabilities?

Am i thinking to deep? Is it time for bed.

Any input would be sooo helful

Start a new topic under the relevant forum. Read this: Where to post what

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 pm

dulciean wrote:' Programming and Planning in Early Childhood Settings (4th edition) by Leonie Arthur, Bronwyn Beecher, Elizabeth Death, Sue Dockett and Sue Farmer " - i have this book. it is a wordy text but i am finding it fresh and modern and helpful in demystifying the ELYF.
I must admit I was a bit alarmed at the price of this one but I looked for it on booko.com.au and it can be bought new for $83.95

I wouldn't mind getting some books too but would have to get something cheaper

emilysnan

Post by emilysnan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Can anyone suggest a book to help freshen up my group times,with songs nursey rhymes and finger plays,also with extension planning ideas leading to craft projects,any suggestions greatly appriacated