program

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
123gcj

program

Post by 123gcj » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi everyone need some help again. Everything in my program is changing again. Just as i get settled and think i am on the correct path we are told to do it different anyway can anyone else tell me if this sounds similiar to their program and talk me thorugh how they do it please. Now with my program we are changing the childs obs to doing them through the learning stories we do in a day so such as: when i write a learning story and it has 3 children in it i am then going to copy that three times and put that into there folder for their ob. and of course after i write it i need to go more indepth into each personal one for that child. Then currently each day i have a daily evaluation that is breif on the expereince we got through that day. Now i am to write a full on daily reflection at the end of the day yay! like i have time for this at 6.30 when knocking off looks like i will be at work till 7.30p.m. and not getting paid! at night my 3 chidlren will love this. And we are completly change the program that goes up on the wall. i am to put up the program activities and then also write up what i want to be linking the Elyfs to them. Sorry hard to explain. I guess before i would link an elfy to the idividual activity but now i am to go through the eylf and work out what i want to see the children getting out of the activity in general. I don't even know if this will make sense to anyone but really would like to here from anyone else that thinks this program sounds like theirs?? or just some help really!! thanks very much.

rachelroo

Re: program

Post by rachelroo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 pm

We have been told to do alot less than you have described, basically one learning story , write information for the parents of some of the days events/activities on the Cirriculum Wall and daily planning sheet per day. The CW has like only 3 activities linked by extention of childs learning/interests, or intentionally teaching to further scafold the learning that was initially observed. These have EYLF links and the things commented on the wall are also found on the planning sheet as is the learning story and its outcomes.
These are then all marked off a checklist we have on each child which consists of all the learning outcomes in the framework. We also do WEEKLY reflections and send out parent information sheets to find out what the children are doing on the weekend..(which can be the basis for our planning for the day) Most of our planning is spontaneous, based on childrens interest, family imput etc.
This is doable for one room in a day. We all share cirriculum responsibilities regardless of training (if you teach your fellow educators how to do all this it unburdens one drastically!)
We will be getting our ACECQA/QIP visit soon so we will see if this is enough paperwork!!

123gcj

Post by 123gcj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:10 pm

O.k. i kind of get what you have said. You say you have a check list for the children. Does this mean you do individual obs such as running obs, photo obs each month or do you have a learning story with the children in it and then check list off the l/o on that child that he/she has displayed through the learning story then filed into the folder??
(Thanks really apprieicate the reply and help.)

rachelroo

Post by rachelroo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 pm

No no running ob's etc just learning stories and the info on the CW which I mostly put in their portfolios as well.(just take a photo of the whole C/wall at the end of the week so there is a record )
My understanding is they are not looking for things like cutting skills, hopping 3 times on one foot and all that stuff..the LO's in the framework are the new stuff we are looking for the children to accomplish,be exposed to etc.

The checklist has all the learning outcomes in the framework on it and it has room to write the date you observed this outcome happening with the child. There is room for like 4 or 5 dates and signatures so it can follow the child as it goes through the centre.
So any learning stories have the EYLF link number. (we have a "cirriculum helper" which has the area and number eg 2.1.1 and then what that is so when we write it on the learning story i just write L.O 2.1.1 after what i have observed)
That way it is all linked.The educational leader or parents can go to the daily cirriculum plan and see what activity/ies were done, it has symbols like,star for child interest, 3 stars for a group of child interest etc.
It then has a column which we write the learning outcomes, a column for if this activity was put on the Cirriculum wall (CW) in their portfoilo (P) or in the checklist we call it Celebration of acheivement charts (COA). I put who's portfolio it will be going into as well in the column.
This cirriculum plan is then then evaluated on the CW.(i actually write on the daily plan AFTER i have done the wall as i am unsure where the learning will go and like to be spontaneous(which is very EYLF))
We take pictures and write like 2 or 3 sentences on each activity, saying what happened and what learning took place(according to the framework Learning Outcomes)
I only do one activity and how it was extended, so the wall and planning sheet only have 3 or 4 things, we dont have to write everything that happened in the day just where the interest and learning went.
Eg In the babies room,children were scrunching paper , extention -I got celophane from the cupboard to explore the sounds and texture,next extension -finger painting with warm coloured cornflour paste. Add photos blurb, symbols and LO's and put on the wall.
Learning story was done on John so this was around building cubby houses so this is also put on the daily planning sheet.
Done!
We do the learning stories like the examples in "the educators guide to the EYLF"which have photos, but also add learning outcomes which we check off the childs individual COA checklist.
We also send home weekend sheets to get families involved with what is happening on the weekends.
We also do staff reflections at the end of each week.
Any questions please ask if you want me to clarify.