Mixed age group

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Froggy90

Mixed age group

Post by Froggy90 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:28 pm

I have just started work in a mixed age group room; ages are 3 to 5years old. When planning program what would be your tips to ensure each child is getting what the need for their learning and how do you ensure you meeting the early years learning framework. how would you set up your room.
thank you

Doris236

PLANNING CURRICULUM

Post by Doris236 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:44 pm

Hi, Everyone. Can I have some suggestion with this situation, please. I try to do it, but it comes to nothing. Thanks so much for your support.
My question is:
A parent of a child in the 3-5 year old play room request that the staff not permit her child to participate in singing Jingle Bells or to dress up during the Christmas morning tea celebration. This was due to the fact that this custom was in conflict with the family’s religious convictions.
The parent was alarmed to see a picture of the group of children, on the notice board with her child singing Jingle Bells and wearing reindeer ears. The parent then made a complaint to the director of the centre regarding the issue.
Describe a curriculum change you would suggest to prevent the above scenario from happening again.

Lorina

Re: Mixed age group

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:04 pm

Froggy90 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:28 pm
I have just started work in a mixed age group room; ages are 3 to 5years old. When planning program what would be your tips to ensure each child is getting what the need for their learning and how do you ensure you meeting the early years learning framework. how would you set up your room.
thank you
I would provide different experiences for the younger ones and for the older children as well. You can also set up general experiences that both age groups could engage in. I would also have a separate group time for the older children so you could focus more on school readiness.

:geek:,
Lorina

karenkresgs

Re: Mixed age group

Post by karenkresgs » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:50 am

Valuable recommendation! I agree that it is necessary to take into account the religious characteristics of each parent, otherwise one cannot do without complaints ...