Kindy Approved Programs

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
klframpton

Kindy Approved Programs

Post by klframpton » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi. I was wondering whether anyone has some good ideas as to how we will successfully implement the "Approved Kindy Programs" next year in a long term day care centre? I mean in a community kindy, children would attend rostered 5 days/fortnight, so activities would be planned to suit that roster. But in a longterm daycare centre, you might have children who attend 5 days /week.... or 3 days/week .... or 2 days/week. So has anyone cleverly worked out how to implement a program so you aren't teaching the same thing everyday...where some children would be repeating activities ?? :?:

Lorina

Re: Kindy Approved Programs

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:24 am

When I was teaching in the preschool room I'd plan my program around the group of children I had each day rather than based what I was going to teach for the week so children get to enjoy a variety of experiences and learning opportunities. Regardless if the child came 2 days or 5 days per week depending on what the group interests were that's the experiences that were planned for. For example:

Monday's group of children who also came on Fridays shown an interest in the solar system so the experiences were planned based around that. Where as Tuesdays group were interested in Volcanoes(even if some of the children were the same as Mondays group). Circle time was based on the group interest which included discussions, reading a story (I read the same story for the week), singing songs chants and group games as well as my teachable moments such as concept recognition, letters, numbers, shapes, sizes etc. My teachable moments stayed the same throughout the week during group time because I think repetition is very important in order for children to learn and grasp concepts.

In saying this there would be some experiences planned that I would have available throughout the week so all children have an opportunity to participate in them. Sensory experiences, science and nature, writing centre and construction these areas usually have the same experiences the only difference would probably be the extra items or materials added to these areas depending on what the interest or topic is.

Every educator has a different way of implementing their own program. This is what worked well for me and enabled me to focus on each individual child and their interests. You just need to find something that allows all children to participate in the program.

Hopefully this gives you an idea on what I use to do...

:geek:,
L.A

klframpton

Post by klframpton » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Lorina.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed response. It is very helpful and has given me a good starting point! Thank you very much.
Cheers Katrina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 am

No worries Katrina! More than happy to help!! :thumbup:

Hope all goes well and let me know if you need any further help...

:geek:,
L.A