Keeping Track Of Children's Observations

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Keeping Track Of Children's Observations

Post by tinkataylor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi guys,

What are some of your techniques or processes that help you keep track of making sure you have observations and follow ups for everyone?

Also how do you maintain knowing what the last observation was when you get around to doing the follow up?

Thanks,

Tay

Lorina

Re: keeping track of childrens observations

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:10 am

I created my own table. On the left side column I have each child's name and in the top row I have sub headings such as: OB, Follow Up Added, LS Added, Photo Ob Added, Portfolio Page etc. This is laminated as I use it monthly to help me to keep track on obs, follow ups portfolios etc. I just colour in the box using a highlighter next to each child's name once I complete it. Then I rub it out and use it the next month...

Hopefully I've explained it so you understand what Im talking about. :giggle:

:geek:,
L.A

tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Post by tinkataylor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 am

Hey thanks!

Yea i had something similar, good idea laminating too, the other thing I do is instead of highlighting I would write down the date of when I did it, our management said it would be good to do that so they can check on our obs.

Thanks again :)
Tay

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 pm

I use a calender that I hang next to the program. On each date I write the child that I need to observe and then write the follow up I add onto the calender once I complete the observation itself. It's pretty handy. It helps me keep track and if I happen to be away the staff in the room just have to look on the calender to see if a child needs to be observed or a follow up needs to be done.

tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Post by tinkataylor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

So good!

Thanks heaps for replying to my posts guys, you know so much about the EYLF and more importantly how it plays out in the room.

I love coming back to this site, so much good help!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 pm

catchmeifucan wrote:I use a calender that I hang next to the program. On each date I write the child that I need to observe and then write the follow up I add onto the calender once I complete the observation itself. It's pretty handy. It helps me keep track and if I happen to be away the staff in the room just have to look on the calender to see if a child needs to be observed or a follow up needs to be done.
Fantastic Idea! Using this next time!! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Re: Keeping Track Of Children's Observations

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:22 am

FACEBOOK POST

We keep a table of observations and follow ups. Once an ob is done, the follow up is planned and documented on the ob. It’s then automatically placed on the weeks program that you want to do the follow up, with date of original ob and what you are planning…. Every part of the planning cycle can be viewed from that one table, where every child is listed, for the entire year. Our follow ups contain a reflection too.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:22 am

FACEBOOK POST

I create topic photo albums. A picture says a thousand words and can spark your memory of what was happening at that point, who was involved and gives a visual diary to help with the follow-ups and future planning into.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:28 pm

FACEBOOK POST

We keep a table of observations and follow ups. Once an ob is done, the follow up is planned and documented on the ob. It’s then automatically placed on the weeks program that you want to do the follow up, with date of original ob and what you are planning…. Every part of the planning cycle can be viewed from that one table, where every child is listed, for the entire year. Our follow ups contain a reflection too.