I need some assistance with: older staff implimenting the EYLF

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
happychildcareworker

I need some assistance with: older staff implimenting the EYLF

Post by happychildcareworker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi, I currently work in a long day care setting. We have been implementing the EYLF for quite some time now, however some of our older staff members who have been in the industry for many years are still struggling to understand the concept of it and are finding it hard to implement, has anyone else had this experience or know of any strategies that could help?? would be grateful for any ideas. thank you Alana.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: I need some assistance with: older staff implimenting the EYLF

Post by cathiek » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 pm

We had meetings where we talked about the things we already do and improvements and changes we could make. We went through the qip together which I found really helped as we could see what we already r doing well and then worked little by little on the things we needed to. Break things down into manageable chunks. Do you use the Nqs plp website? Lots of newsletters and a forum. There is a myths and realities newsletter that may help. Hope this helps a little
Cathiek

happychildcareworker

Post by happychildcareworker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks Cathiek, that is a good suggestion breaking it down in to manageable chunks, and having discussions about what we already do I will put them into practice and see how it goes, no I haven't used the Nqs plp website but I will go and have a look at it, thank you for your help.

happychildcareworker

Post by happychildcareworker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:47 pm

I will also have a look at the site you suggested Lumamelzemm, thank you for your help

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:48 pm

As an older person (40!) who has had many years in the industry, my idea is to communicate that the EYLF is really just a re-framing of what we have been doing for years. It's just a matter of learning to analyse the learning and link it to the new wording in the principles. I find workers young and old struggling with the language of the EYLF- it commands a certain level of literacy and a deeper understanding of child development and best practise. You can however teach an old dog new tricks ( or terminology!) :giggle:

happychildcareworker

Post by happychildcareworker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi dulciean, thank you for your reply, that is a good suggestion of how to communicate the EYLF, Thank you

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I think the EYLF is open to interpretation and this stumps some of the older staff who are used to things so mapped out and curriculum being step-by-step instruction. However I think they need to or once they realise they probably do everything in accordance to the EYLF anyway its easier for them. I have found explaining linking documentation to the EYLF helps them as this is usually what they (and even younger ones) struggle with

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi Alana,

At times it can be difficult to change our mindset when we are so use to doing what we have been doing for many years. The EYLF brings a whole new way of thinking and a new way of implementing learning to the children. From the way we complete the curriculum, to writing the observations and evaluating experiences, everything has changed.

On this site itself you can find many helpful and simple articles that you can read in order to gain a better understanding of how to implement the EYLF and required documentation within your centre.

Online Tools - Free Templates and Samples on EYLF Documentation

EYLF Curriculum Planning & Documentation (please note the curriculum plan sample in here is an older version, however using the ones available in Online Tools you can apply the same method).

How To Write A Learning Story

Hopefully the above articles can get you started. Also if you go to our "Childcare Programming and Documentations" forum you will find many topics related to EYLF.

If you need any further help, please let me know and I will assist you as best as I can,

:geek:,
L.A