Focus children vs. Days working per week

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
jules1998

Focus children vs. Days working per week

Post by jules1998 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:05 pm

I work 3 days a week as I am currently studying for my Bachelor's in ECEC (1st year). I program for 13 children, getting 1.5 hours off the floor to write up my curriculum/program plan. I have been told 1.5 hours is too much time for the number of children I focus on, although regs state 2 hours. I am unsure how to approach this with my director.

Lorina

Re: Focus children vs. Days working per week

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:08 pm

1.5 hours is not too much time at all! I would say it's not enough time and as you said you should be actually given 2 hours. 2 Hours itself is very less time! When approaching your Director you just need to explain that as per the Children's Services Award you are mandated to receive a minimum of 2 hours.

Here is more information: 2 Hours Per Week Programming Time Mandatory For Educators

:geek:,
Lorina

SarahB01

Post by SarahB01 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi Lorena and everyone else,
I need some serious help with my uni assignment. If anyone can help, that would be wonderful!

It is a 1500 word assignment.
This task explores the practice of advocacy and the strategies necessary to communicate and inter- act effectively with various stakeholders to lead change. Theories, models, strategies skills, personal leadership qualities as well as the link between leadership, advocacy and the early childhood com- munity must be made.
Students are required to identify a critical incident or hot topic in early childhood education and de- velop a research informed plan for action to improve outcomes. Specific reference must be made to the development and implementation of legislation, accreditation, code of ethics, policies and pro- cedures.

My topic is about high staff retention in ECEC workforce.

Possible advocacy and activist strategies we would use to impact change in terms of this issue:

Personal level - Advocate for my importance as a professional in the sector and the importance of higher education in relation to quality education and care.

Personal level - Join a union. A union is an organisation that advocates on behalf of an industry. In regard to early childhood education and care, there are many unions that educators could join that advocate for better working conditions on their behalf. A union is a powerful voice that is able to make a change. If a union becomes successful in achieving better pay and conditions for educators, this change will likely encourage more people into becoming early childhood educators.

Personal level- An educator can also advocate for early childhood education and care when voting for an election. Whether it is a local council or federal election, an educator can decide to choose a representative who prioritises early childhood education and care. If this representative was elected, they can be a strong voice to advocate on behalf of educators.

Centre level - Centre: Ensure strategies are being employed on a managerial level to promote staff wellbeing and a positive work environment for all employees – regardless of position or qualification level.

Community level - Educate the community about how improved educator wellbeing and working conditions leads to improved outcomes for children and families. Challenge damaging dominant discourses surrounding ECEC, e.g. early years is more about care than education, early childhood educators don’t deserve to be paid well because their work is easy, etc.

Systems level - Advocate for changing the poor pay conditions for ECEC workers on the grounds of historic, gender-based inequity, as well as improving work conditions for ECTs to match that of educators in a formal school setting. Work alongside other early childhood advocates to address the conflict between policy reforms pushing to professionalize the sector and the low financial reward for furthering qualifications.

If anyone can help me on how I can do better, please let me know.

Thank you so much :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:46 pm

It's a good start!

Here is some more information that may help:

How To Retain Staff

NSW Invests To Attract and Retain Enducators

Investing In Our Workforce

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina