Fire drill

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Miss T

Fire drill

Post by Miss T » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi,

Wondering if i can get fellow educators to give me their advice on this:

I am wanting to have a written evaluation on the fire drill we just did today. Do other services do this?

we are 3 staff with 22 children aged 2-5 year olds, so in the drill we had 1 staff get the roll and telephone, the other (me) was getting the children in line and the 3rd one was the 1 who blew the whistle and helped with the line of children.

what is actually expected for fire drills? I've experienced in previous work places we need to take a first aid kit, children medications, emergency contact list, children sign in sheet, staff sign in sheet and a telephone.

Anyways i would like to improve this area in our center so others input would be great :)

Lorina

Re: Fire drill

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 am

Yeah we did monthly practice evacuations. Each month a staff member was given the duty to be responsible for the practice drill. So, anytime during the month, whoever's turn it was,on any day without warning, had to blow the whistle, name what part of the centre the fire was in and assist others in the evacuation. Then at the end of the practice we had to fill in the evaluation.

I was reading through the health and safety policies and it mentions that during an evacuation procedure it's also important to teach the children to "get down low and go go go" as well as "stop, drop and roll". So, you can also include this into your practice drill as well...

Main thing during practice drills is to get to the designated safe area, quickly and efficiently making sure all children are accounted for.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:57 pm

We have an evacuation bag which is hung on a hook next to the whistle for evacuations. It has: a basic first aid kit and children’necessities, such as nappies, water, toys, blankets, torch, and parent contact numbers. The nursery have the same on the end of the cot which they use during evacuations as well.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:08 pm

In our evacuation bag we also have staff next of kin contact details.
"Get down low and go go go" as well as "stop, drop and roll". Great idea Lorina, I'm going to practice this next time we do a fire drill. Thanks for that info.
Jules.:)

sophsta

Post by sophsta » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:25 pm

what centre are you at that had to evacuate? my centre had to evacuate as well!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 pm

sophsta wrote:what centre are you at that had to evacuate? my centre had to evacuate as well!

I have never had to do a real evacuation... What happened? Did you all follow procedure? Were the children calm as well as the staff?

:geek:,
L.A