FDC templates: Need help with Programming for EYLF

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

FDC templates: Need help with Programming for EYLF

Post by 2121 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this site. I run a FDC but only care for a 1 year old two days a week along with my own two year old and one year old. I have been given information overload about how to do observations and curriculum (is this the same as a programme)? I am looking for a really simple way of starting up. What do I need to display on my notice board. Easiest way possible of linking the observations to EYLF? I love the online tools provided here for FDC but do I need to use them all? Are there any completed ones so I can see what things to include? It would be great to see some examples for babies as opposed to toddlers and school aged children.

Any hints, or tips welcome as I am drowning in loads of different documents with different titles and I just want to know...... what are the basics I need to comply with requirements at this stage? I started off displaying a daily agenda of activities which included what time breakfast would be etc and what we play at certain times of day. I have recently been told I no longer need to do this.

Thanks!!
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: FDC: Need help with Programming & Planning for EYLF

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi There,

Yes the program is now the curriculum. Since you run a FDC and as part of the National Regulations you will have to provide documentation on the experiences you provide to the children through a curriculum plan. You will also need to start observing the children in your care. Since you are only looking after 1 child 2 days per week are you still running your FDC on the other days for your own 2 children?

The online tools provides you with a choice of templates to use so no you don't have to use them all. For the curriculum plan, you have an option of using either a daily or weekly plan and you can use either a play based format or a learning outcome format. I think it would probably be easier for you to use the daily curriculum plan. Regarding the child observations, there are 3 templates to choose from so you can use which ever suits you.

As far as what you need to display on the notice board, I think you will you will need to include: a curriculum plan, a daily routine (which is what you are already doing), menu, child information sheet (such as times they slept, bottles fed, how much they ate etc), information about the contents and the operation of the educational program (this needs to be accessed to parents), fire evacuation plan (also need to be put up around all exits)... Oh and I also think you will need to provide information on the Educational Leader and Nominated Supervisor (which I presume is yourself) so just a sign with your name saying your the Educational Leader & Nominated Supervisor of the service. However you may need to check with your scheme to confirm this.

I know it may seem a lot at the moment however once your head around things it will be much easier!

First off, try and get your curriculum sorted then work out the others,

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: FDC templates: Need help with Programming for EYLF

Post by LindyT » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 am

2121 wrote:Hello everyone, I am brand new to this site. I run a FDC but only care for a 1 year old two days a week along with my own two year old and one year old. I have been given information overload about how to do observations and curriculum (is this the same as a programme)? I am looking for a really simple way of starting up. What do I need to display on my notice board. Easiest way possible of linking the observations to EYLF? I love the online tools provided here for FDC but do I need to use them all? Are there any completed ones so I can see what things to include? It would be great to see some examples for babies as opposed to toddlers and school aged children.

Any hints, or tips welcome as I am drowning in loads of different documents with different titles and I just want to know...... what are the basics I need to comply with requirements at this stage? I started off displaying a daily agenda of activities which included what time breakfast would be etc and what we play at certain times of day. I have recently been told I no longer need to do this.

Thanks!!
Hi 2121

I am in FDC myself so am happy to help you any way I can.

The load seems HUGE when you first start but as time goes on you will discover what works for you. No-one expects you to know it all and have everything perfect. It is an evolving process.

In my scheme they at a minimum expect 1 observation or Learning story per month per child.
As you have 1 child you need to observe I wouldn't stress yourself out too much about this. Just find something they are developing their skills in. Documents it over a period of time (Observation or Learning Story) The templates here are wonderful for this as they cover everything you need to have and more.
On your board you should
* have your certificate of registration/membership,
* your curriculum/programme. This should be taken from the child's interests. It does not have to be complicated. Look at the observations/learning stories your write. This can be helpful in guiding your programme. As well as the things the child like to do. You can add the learning into what the child is interested in and the skills the child is developing.
* 1st Aid Certificate and Asthma and Anaphylaxis Management certificates.
* Menu for the week if you provide food.
^ Emergency Evacuation service floor plan with exits marked as well as location of fire blanket, fire extinguisher and 1st aid kit and evacuation point.
* Emergency contact numbers for fire, ambulance, poisons information nearest cross roads to your house etc.
* Routines. Approx. times you do things in your service m/tea, lunch, rest/sleep time, a/tea gross motor play, free play etc. This doesn't need to be set in stone. (If you have been told not to do it then fantastic don't do anything you don't need to.)

This is all I can think of for now.
Please feel free to ask more question as I am happy to help.