Eylf and Nqs

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jeffnae

Eylf and Nqs

Post by Jeffnae » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am after some guidance in what to do for my room regarding observations and learning stories.
Currently i have over 80 different children. So i have divided the children into focus group and complete these observations each week.. Roughly 20 children in each group then i have my casual list of children and i observe them every time they visit the centre.

At the moment i am writing the observation and following on with a learning story to show that we are actually following up, but i have now come to terms that i am digging a hole ane and not catching up on any work. seem to be forever catching up with observation.s :yawn:

My first question Is this what other people are doing completeing a observation then following on with a leaning story?
or if noy any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Second how do we link our program with Eylf and NQs..

Renae

rachelroo

Re: Eylf and Nqs

Post by rachelroo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:19 am

A learning story is the new word for observation they are the same thing only the way they are written are worded differently (great examples on educators guide to the EYLF(just google it.)
I usually spontaneously extend on the interest (new term for follow up) and so the learning story is completed in the same day or even the same 10 minutes eg the child is hiding under a table trying to make cubbies,I go and get a sheet and together we plan ideas how to use the sheet to make the cubby(co-constructing learning together)You will find this will make it heaps easier as you dont have to keep track of extensions of learning(follow ups) for the next day.
I think this is what the EYLF is all about following the interest as it happens, children loose interest so quickly in my opinion so extending as it happens works so well.

rachelroo

Re: Eylf and Nqs

Post by rachelroo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:37 am

Ps I only do 2 learning stories per child ,per term as well. We are having one of the first visits by ACECQA in a few weeks so we will soon know if this is enough!!