Creative Format Design For Program Plan

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
about2giveup

Creative Format Design For Program Plan

Post by about2giveup » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 pm

I am feeling quite defeated and just ready to give up. I have my cert 3 and I'm now doing my diploma as a traineeship. I have almost finished and just completed by 4 weeks of programming and running the room. My assessor came for a visit last week and I thought that she would mark that assessment off as passed and I would just have the last few to do before becoming qualified. Well...she would like me to do the whole lot again because of the format I used (the format I copied out of the text book I had to buy for the course). She said the programming itself is fine, follows the correct cycle, links up to everything fine and she can't fault anything except the format. Apparently "no one uses boxes any more" and I should be creative with some other visual program on the wall like a garden and each experience is a flower (that was one of her examples).
I am beyond annoyed and think that she is just being ridiculous for the sake of it. Ok fine give feedback and say maybe this could be an idea for another way to do it, but to not pass me when it met all the criteria and make me redo it! And nearly all of my friends who work in childcare still use a box format so I'm not sure where she got that idea. I've been reading this forum and it seems most people do use a box format...the templates which are available on here (which by the way are great!) are boxes.
I'm really annoyed (if you can't tell lol). I did argue/discuss these things with her and she said she just wants me to learn an easy and less timely way to program... because I have all the time in the world to redo 4 weeks of running the room that I just already did and make fancy flowers for the wall!!!

Anyway enough complaining. Do any of you do this kind of programming and have any advice? The way she explained it was like adding new experiences as the program as the children showed interests I could extend on, which is what I do anyway it's just usually a spontaneous experience added to the program or it's put on the next weeks program because it needs time to organise resources etc. This starting with a blank garden and filling it as the children lead it that way is a bit confusing and I don't know anyone who does it to ask.

I thought we could all find our own way to do it as long as it covers what it should? Now she is demanding I do it this way and I'm so overwhelmed about it I'm ready to just throw in the towel and say stuff it.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Creative Format Design For Program Plan

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:28 am

First off, I just don't understand why you have to redo your whole assessment just because of the format. It doesn't make sense at all. The format/layout of the program plan isn't important at all...only the details and information inside of it is! Did you add input keys (which shows the original source of where activity came from), add L/O's, date initiated etc. Are there clear links on your program from the experiences and the source (usually initiated in the daily diary). Are the experiences on the program detailed? I'm sorry about all the questions, just trying to think of a reason why you failed, not just because of the format alone...

Saying "no one uses boxes anymore" is not a justified reason why you are not passing this assessment. Yes, educators believe that there are are other formats and layout designs to use which works well for them which isn't boxed but it doesn't mean if you are using "boxes" it's wrong. You mentioned that we have box style template on our site and yes you're right. When I designed the templates when the EYLF first arrived, using boxes made sense as it was a simple and concise way to show links between the program and the requirements of the EYLF. With "a boxed plan" it provides an easy understanding of the days experiences that all educators and families can follow... So, even though for some it may be out of date I believe that it even with just a glance at it you'd be able to figure out the days experiences, clear links between the source of the experiences and EYLF as well links to other documentation. In saying this though, in the future we will be releasing other formats/layout designs that can be used as a curriculum plan template... Also, now where within the NQS does it say anything about a specific format that the plan must be displayed as... I don't see the point of making a fancy "scene" template plan which is a complete waste of time! Each to their own!

Is your assessor suggesting to start with a blank template and fill it in as the day progresses on? What about extension of learning experiences, ongoing interests, observation children, parent input and child input... how you supposed to include this all onto a blank program throughout the day. I believe a program should be pre-planned. Spontaneous experiences can be certainly added as they occur throughout the day and extended upon but there is so much more to developing children's learning than "spontaneous experiences"...

Are you able to get a second opinion for your assessment? Maybe contact the head of the department and see if someone else can look through your assessment and see what they comment. I just find it very hard to believe that just because you are using a certain format you failed! It's ridiculous! Find out if there is someone else in your course you can contact about your assessment and let them know what this assessor said... It's unfiar and you shouldn't have to be made to re-do it because you used "boxes"...

Don't give up!

:geek:,
L.A

BTW - Sorry for my late reply. I wanted to reply sooner but my little one has a viral infection atm...

Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

about2giveup

Re: creative program?

Post by about2giveup » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 am

Thank you! You sound like you are coming from the same thought process as I am. I like the boxes for the same reasons. It's user friendly and covers everything it should without all the fluffing around, and simple and easy for educators and families to understand. I am a parent myself and I like the idea of being able to look at a simple layout which clearly shows what is planned for my child's day. Of course it is flexible and spontaneous learning is taking place and followed up on, it's child led, it came from there interests...but there is still a guide to start with which helps.

We have to ask ourselves what the program is for and who is going to be reading it! I think cute little themes, while they are lovely and look nice, aren't necessary and to be honest are a little patronising to parents and educators. It not at children's eye level, children can't read it, it's for the parents and staff to read....what's the reason for making it so child like? Like you said, each to their own.

But yes to answer your questions it does cover everything and she herself said she can't fault it. She said that it would be nice to do something like a garden and to start with it blank and see where the children's interests take it, adding new flowers for the experiences. That's pretty much all the direction she gave me. I am going to ask her to clarify and explain to me exactly how it is going to work before I bother starting because I don't see how it would work and get it to cover everything, and then she would have a reason to fail me!

I am considering fighting it and probably should which would be much quicker and easier than all this. I shouldn't have to redo it! I'm not sure what her problem is really but it seems like she has it in for me or something.

Thanks again, and I hope you little one is feeling better soon.