CHCPR303D - Scrapbook: Interview Q's, Direct Obs, Communicating With Children, Photo Obs, Sharing Information

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mehfuza.nazir

CHCPR303D - Scrapbook: Interview Q's, Direct Obs, Communicating With Children, Photo Obs, Sharing Information

Post by mehfuza.nazir » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:21 pm

hi,
this is babli,and i m in great trouble pls help me out in this assignment :(
Assignment overview
We have spent a lot of time making sure that the children are safe, that they have nutritious food, that the premises are hygienically clean and secure and that staff know what to do in various situations. Now we should look at the children themselves, at their interests and needs. How do we find out what a child’s interests and strengths are? The following tasks will help you develop and practise the basic principles and methods of observing children in order to develop an understanding of their interests and developmental needs.
For this assignment, you will have to use children you know, and not the children from the Summerville site.
Select a child aged between six months and five years who you will be able to see and observe on several occasions. This child may be a neighbour, relative or a friend’s child. You may not use your own child, or a child you know very well (as this will make it harder for you to record only what you see, and not what you already know about the child). You may observe the child in their home or while they attend a children’s service. You will need the permission of the child’s parents to gather and document information about the child. If the child is old enough to understand, you will also need to explain the task to them and ask for their permission and cooperation.
The purpose of this assignment is to practice your newly developed skills in observation and documentation to really get to know one child well. You will also practise the skill of displaying this information for sharing.
Question 1: Interview questions
Design an interview sheet that you could use with this child’s parents as a way of gathering information about their child. You will need to include questions about their child’s friends, favourite foods, toys, games, people, as well as their routines, habits and interests. Remember the aim of the interview is to gain as much information as possible about the child, their experiences, their families expectations, anything that will let you get to know the child better.
When you are happy with your interview questions, carry out the interview with one of your chosen child’s parents. You will need to include both the questions and the answers you receive.
Question 2: Direct observation
Over a few days, observe the child when he/she is engaged in both play and routine experiences. Record your information using the following methods. Provide at least one anecdotal record (15 marks) one running record (15 Marks) one checklist with dated evidence, focusing on at least two areas of development (10 Marks)
Please ensure you head all written observations with the following background information:
Child’s first name:
Child’s date of birth:
Observer’s first name:
Date:
Setting:
Question 3: Communicate and interact with children
If the child you have selected is old enough to understand, you should explain what you doing and ask for their permission.
Briefly write a short report on how you approached the child and how interacted with the child to get their cooperation in your project.
Question 4: Using photographs to gather information about children
If you have permission to take photos of this child, take a series of photographs of the child engaged in an experience. These photographs needs to show a progression in exploration, discovery, curiosity or understanding through play.
Write a commentary that provides some sort of explanation about each photograph. Focus on how the child completed the activity, and on what development is being demonstrated through these activities.
If you cannot photograph the child, perhaps you could photograph or collect some of their constructions, paintings or drawings, and add commentary.
Question 5: Share information about children with family members and other interested parties
Now we will share the information we have found out about the child with the parents. This needs to be done in a professional manner, both in terms of presentation and language.
Put all of the information you have gathered from Task 1 in a display folder or scrapbook to show to the child and to their family members. Take care with the arrangement of this information and try to display it in an interesting and aesthetically pleasing way. Remember that your audience is the child and their family. However, also remember that this portfolio is a representation of your professional ability. If family members or the child have comments, photos or anecdotes to add at this point, incorporate them before finally handing it in to your teacher for marking.
Question 6: Use observations to plan for children’s services
Using the child profile format below, list the child’s strengths, needs, and interests (5 Marks Each). This summary needs to be drawn from and clearly linked back to the observations you have recorded. You can not include any comments which are not recorded in one of your observations. Your comments need to be based on child development, and be specific to this individual child.
Now, based on the information you have gathered about the child’s development briefly describe four play experiences that the child may enjoy.
You need to explain why the child will want to participate, and what development the activity will support or extend. These need to be clearly linked to the child’s profile you have completed
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCPR303D - Scrapbook: Interview Q's, Direct Obs, Communicating With Children, Photo Obs, Sharing Information

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Where exactly are you having problems?
The question is fairly straightforward, in fact they are almost telling you what you are meant to do
Q1 they pretty much give you what interview questions - u could have it as an interview or maybe as a sheet that parents can fill out for you with the info
Q2 Is simple observation
anedotal - means that you are almost narrating the observation like a story
running - means you will put down your observations as happens ... almost like a timeline
in resources and other posts you can find a developmental checklist
Q3 Again v. straightfoward just do what the question asks and write down what u did
Q4 Once more tells you exactly what to do, photograph child and write about what u have photographed
Q5 Make a folder with all the relevent information to share - photos, anecdotes, artworks etc
Q6 Look back through all your obs & photos and figure out what activities the child would like eg thru obs u may have noticed child likes books and pretends to read.... so you may plan to then introduce the child to learning letters (phonetically) ...obviously u need a PLAY experience so u cannot use this example

I have mentioned this to others and I will say it to you too ... please do not read a question and panic... you need to just break the question down into its parts and figure out what they are asking of you.
In this question it is very clear what they want & they are telling you so there should not be any confusion.
Remember its easy to post things and get someone else to answer your assignments but you will not learn nor benefit until you can comprehend what the question is asking of you and be able to answer it.

Lorina

Re: CHCPR303D - Scrapbook: Interview Q's, Direct Obs, Communicating With Children, Photo Obs, Sharing Information

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Babli,

Wow... what a great big assignment... it should of taking you a long time to type all these questions up but I would really appreciate if you point out what you are stuck on! I had a read through the assignment and I'm not sure where you are having difficulty, it clearly states what you need to do. You can't find an answer on this forum for this particular question because you actually need to go and physically observe a child and present the information you collect to your assessor for marking. What exactly are you having difficulty with?

Question 1: Interview questions

All you need to do is type up some questions that you can give to the child's parents that you are observing so they can fill it out. Some questions you can ask include:
1) What is your child's current interest?
2) What are their strengths?
3) What are their weaknesses?
4) Who lives at home with your child?
5) Briefly describe your child's daily routine.
6) What is your child's favorite food? etc... you get the idea just come up with some questions like this...

Question 2: Direct observation

I've attached samples of the observations that you need for this question. Have a read through it and you should be able to understand what information you need to provide...
Sample 1 - Anecdotal Record [attachment=2]Anecdotal Record.docx[/attachment]
Sample 2 - Running Record [attachment=1]Running Record.docx[/attachment]
Sample 3 - Checklist [attachment=0]checklist.docx[/attachment]

Question 3: Communicate and interact with children

Include and write down what you said to the child, what the child said to you, where you were, what you were doing etc...

Question 4: Using photographs to gather information about children

Self-explanatory really... take photos of the child playing with a toy/experience such as building with blocks and explain what the child is doing in each of the photos...

For the last couple of questions you will need to take the observations before you can provide details on what experiences the child will be interested in. I suggest you work on the above questions first and then let us know!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Re: CHCPR303D - Develop understanding of children's interests and developmental needs

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm

FeFe,

You beat me too it! Hahahahah... I was answering while you were posting!! Gosh you're a fast typer!! LOL :lol:

:geek: ,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Aye that I am, comes from typing long assignments at Uni! (10,000 words) !!! u needed to type super fast to get that done :)

mehfuza.nazir

Post by mehfuza.nazir » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 am

thanks alot ,it gives me lots of points to complete my assign,but if i stuck any further pls help me out
thanks again

Suzian

Re: CHCPR303D - Develop understanding of children's interests and developmental needs

Post by Suzian » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi everybody

I am doing certificatr iii inchildren services ( unit chcpr 303 d) and i have a trouble with some of the questions:

1) Tammy (3 years) has been at the service for almost 1 year, but only in the kindy room for 2 months and had settled well. During the transition stage from Junior kindy to kindy , Josh the Educator took time to get to know Tammy from immediate family,Tammy herself and previous Educators with whom Tammy had been interacting on a regular basis.

Information gathered about Tammy's from immediate family would be considered as :
A secondary source of information
B neighbourhood source of information
C primary source of information
D educator source information

I think the answer is D
Can anybody help me ? Am i right or no???
Pleeesasse

2) the educator , Josh , has noticed that Tammy ( 2 years) is not settling as well as she used to when her mum leaves her for the day. This particular day Josh decides he should observe more clearly to see why her response has changed.
What is josh aiming to observe from Tammy?

A Tammy 's motor skills
B to evaluate the effectiveness of the routine in meeting Tammy's interests and needs
C to understand Tammy's preferres learning style
D to understand Tammy's current level of language development
I guess the answer is B

3) When would it be most appropriate to observe and record Tammy's interactions with peers?

A learning new songs and movements to songs
B mealtimes and routine tasks
C when the child is resting
D outdoors while the child is digging on her own in the garden
I think the answer is B
4) to gather information about Tammy's cognitive and creative skills , Josh may record during:
A. group story time
B. while listening to music
C. As Tammy climbs the ladders and A frames
D. While Tammy engages in dramatic play with open ended materials

I choose the answer A

If anybody can help me i appreciate

Please help me
Thank you

emmie.b

Post by emmie.b » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:35 pm

I am also on this assignment and was wondering what a checklist with dated evidence is? In question 2.
It says focusing on at least 2 areas of development.

Thanks in advance.