after school care programming

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chel

after school care programming

Post by chel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi everyone and anyone

Can anyone help me on how to program a before and after school using My time Our place?? the new EYLF.

Lorina

Re: after school care programming

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Chel,

I have been doing some research in regards to the "My Time, Our Place" EYLF Framework for OOSH. I came across the draft documentation for the above framework and had a read through it. It is very similar to "Belonging, Being & Becoming" which we are currently using in early childhood.

In regards to programming take a look at the Weekly Curriculum Plan that I am currently working on. I think this type of programming style may be useful to you. The Weekly Curriculum Plan covers each of the EYLF Learning Outcomes that are also used in "My time, Our Place". Now I haven't worked at an OOSH service for a real long time so I don't know what changes have been made but I don't see why you couldn't use a format like the one I designed. Just take a look at it and see if it fits in with your understanding and let me know what you think so I can help you out further... You can find an attachment of the Weekly Curriculum Plan in the forum called "EYLF Programming & Planning Documentation" (page 5). Simply click on the following link to view it: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... 4&start=40 (the post is in pink, by me (L.A) on Fri 15 July)...

What programming style are you currently using?

Do you do a daily or weekly program?

I am also attaching the draft framework for "My time, Our Place". I'm not too sure if you already have a copy...

[attachment=0]my_time_our_place.pdf[/attachment]
I'll be more than happy to work with you to assist you in developing a program for your OOSH service,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chel

Post by chel » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:42 am

Thank you for your help. This would really help me a lot. I have been using a weekly program on a play based curriculum when I was working in preschools. This will be my first planning with OOSH and I am stuck on how would the documentation going to be when majority of the children would only be there for short time and how often observations need done.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Thought this would be handy for anyone using the Schoolies EYLF

Had to use it for the 1st time today.
Isn't grossly diff to EC version for our.littlies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:26 am

Hi Everyone
I am new to the asc programing 'game'.. I have just taken on this role in a LDC and would love any help or idea's anyone can give me. :)

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

HI Florry - are you talking with regards to programming, observation or just oshc in general??

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 am

HI Kristy, Pretty much all of the above lol. But mostly the programing as have done ob's before on the children in the rooms i have worked, so figure that oshc children will be the same!

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I know that if you cant get anything out of the observation dont worry about writing one.. I document an observation if I can get an extension idea out of it, or if its something that needs attention (for example a skill that needs working on or a behaviour thing) .. I have started doing like learning stories or magical moment type observations on a program called "comic life". These look great when they are done up. According to the regulations you have to do a "varied style" of observation. So I do a picture obs, learning stories and then also get the children to take pictures and then write about what they have done. Doesnt have to be a long winded thing, just simple. We had a group of children just randomly do a play together which they wanted to perform infront of the others, after they had done it I asked the older child who narrated the play if she could possibly write it down, which she did :-)) was so proud of them because the play was fantastic and every child in the centre enjoyed it... I also have started a "reflection diary" which is written in daily. As far as the programming goes im a little lost aswell. We start off with a blank template and basically the children write the program with spontaneous activities. We might also add an intentional activity and also add activities that have been an extension from an observation and also put in a "life skill" activity. florry Im just plodding along doing what I think is right - there are plenty of templates for an LDC which you can just adapt but with the outcomes that reflect an oosh setting... forums such as these help immensely aswell, LA has been a huge inspiration to me and also the other forum participants :-))

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Yeah I know the feeling on the 'open' part... It is ment to be about them etc but omg I need something hahaha... I might do the first week(next week) up as a open learning things and just place items on the table and therefore they can go form there and just ob what they do and what they use or don't use. But yeah SO DOING the reflection diary so I know what works and doesn't. I like your photo idea tho Kristy I think the kids wld love doing something like that and they can also do up their own profiles for end of the yr.

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 pm

My children went a little crazy yesterday with the camera - when I got home they had taken photos of me with every weird expression on my face they could find. I must have been deep in conversation with another carer - quite funny when I look at them now hahaha Its all just trial and error atm - im sure we will all get there and talking adn giving each other ideas helps immensely to :-))

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:56 pm

haha sounds like a heap of fun :)

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:54 pm

So true :) So glad I am not alone in JUST starting out lol :)
Now to plan my FIRST WEEK lol arrrgggghhhhh lol

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm

ive been doing it for years - but this eylf has made me feel like im starting all over again. Im not an overly confident person it is and I guess its all about believing in myself .... Goodluck to you :-))

tiny_tots
Participator
Participator

Post by tiny_tots » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:14 am

Hi all

I was feeling really confident at the beginning of this year with the EYLF (we have been doing it for over a year already) but now I am starting to stress a little but worrying that I'm not going to pass accreditation because im not meeting all the areas or something simple like that...is anyone else feeling the same pressure?

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 am

everyday :-((

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:21 am

I am only starting in the ASC area but yeah it feels a lil stressful all round :/

oziwi

Post by oziwi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 am

Hi Kristy & FlorryI
We have a very large service and we have a program that has a variety of activities that are usually based on the kids interest or a calendar event. We love taking photos and the kids love taking photos as well. Like you Kristy it helps with making documentation easy and the kids love to use the laptop to write up their story about what they were doing. Some very interesting stories come from that... I like your idea of a reflection diary, I usually write some notes down on a scrap piece of paper and hope I can find it later. I have thought about using a dictaphone or even my mobile just so I can give my conversation with the kids justice.

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Oziwi

Omg I am on your wave length.. I bought a little dictaphone so I could quickly blurb a few things rather than write it, because (a) my writing is shocking (b) its quicker to listen to it at night then type it out.. (lightbulb moment) so I might bring this out again today lol.. We are licenced for 52 so being a large service how do you cope??? I thought 52 was bad enough eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekk.. I would have to lug my laptop in everyday for them to use as we are a hired centre so set up and pack away everyday which means restricted to space - frustrates me no end.... Do you aim to do a certain amount of individual obs per day, or group obs etc.. I just love talking to other centres to get ideas and compare and generally help (and sometimes vent) :-))

oziwi

Post by oziwi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 pm

I too am feeling a bit stressed especially with the high turn over of staff and quizzing them on their knowledge about MTOP and the NQF, NQS etc.... ochre cards (blue card=)
By the way since the begining of term our service has had a daily attendance of 140+ We only have after school care

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm

holey moley!!! 140 under the one roof?????? Wow!!! My little 52 for before and after should be a walk in the park compared to that :/