Trial Day

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
teresamc

Trial Day

Post by teresamc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Has anyone applying for a position in childcare ever done one of these? I've interviewed for a position (successfully) and on Monday I am doing a trial day with the centre (paid). Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone have any tips? I've got a good story book to take with me but haven't planned anything else and not sure whether I should given that i don't know anything about the kids.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Trial Day

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:16 pm

hi teresamc, Centres sometimes prefer to see you work when they want to employ you so they ask you to do a trial day. Taking a few stories to read to the kids is a good idea. Just make sure that you interact positively with all kids, get involved in the activities and be friendly to everyone. The centre just want to see how you work with the children and others. Also, don't forget to enjoy yourself!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:12 am

A center I worked for overseas did something like this. For the first bit they asked me just to observe the class and then give them feedback on positives & negatives I saw then they asked me to interact with the children for a while. So I did some action songs with them.
Hope it goes well for you.
Don't get stressed that you have someone watching you... just be yourself and have a good time with the kids. Also remember you can always get whoever staff is in the room on board and say, I would like to do a little circle time (or whatever) can you help me get the children sitting down please.
Involving other staff in the room is also a big factor as it shows teamwork and willingness to communicate what you are doing throughout the day with others.
Good Luck

teresamc

Re: Portfolios In Childcare - Open Discussion

Post by teresamc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 am

I really enjoyed my trial day at a Centre yesterday because I could mostly just "play" all day with children and follow their interests and expand on them. It was so much fun! I actually had them teaching me what I needed to know about their centre so it was really positive all round.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:05 pm

hey its great to hear that your trial day went well. I've had been a few trial days in the past and they are usually quite alright. I guess the directors just want to see that you interact well with children and staff and also to see if you like working at that centre as well. So, do you like the centre?

gecko 22

Post by gecko 22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:47 pm

I applied for a job where they asked me to work a half day and then do an interview and they didnt pay me.

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Tess
I did two trial days in the one centre. One day I was floating from room to room which was good as I got to experience a bit of everything. The other day was spent in the preschoolers room. I had a great time just interacting with the kids and staff. You will enjoy yourself.

didadi
Participator
Participator

Post by didadi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 pm

next week, I will go to the centre to do one trial day as Qualified room leader.they said they are going to pay me casual rate. I am a little bit nervous, even I do all these tasks in my current centre everyday. hope I will get this job next week. :inlove: :thumbup: