Mixed feelings in childcare

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Em1064

Mixed feelings in childcare

Post by Em1064 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:56 am

Hi there,

Firstly thank you for taking time to read my forum, I'm a current diploma qualified educator with ongoing study for my bachelor birth to five. Throughout my time and ongoing with working within childcare, my first centre was good but some of the staff drove me away cause I didn't fit in their group, including the director will play the aim and blame game especially when youve done nothing wrong. I was continuously working long hours as a punishment... I quite like the centre but ended up moving somewhere else, where the staff are great and all including curriculum but on the interview day I explained everything but I feel like they haven't listened to me at all especially when I discuss about my studies, Im currently floating which is good and all but they also have trainees who can't be in the room alone with the kids, more than cert 3s and Diplomas which makes it hard when it comes to working in this childcare centre, I feel like I've gone from one stressful centre to another and I feel like my studies are taking the punishment. I feel like childcare is starting to become a outdated industry due to my experiences I've had including its not allowing me to have my full potential at my teaching ability and the course knowledge I'm learning is not being able to put into practice. I feel like I keep going to childcare centres but I know deep down I want to go to a stand alone preschool where my course matters including the teaching for children is number one priority... I feel bad for wanting to follow my dreams cause I know how short staffed centres are I'm like split in the middle on my decision

Sorry if this is mumble jumbled, was just wondering if anyone has had the same experiences and have the same feelings? :?

Lorina

Re: Mixed feelings in childcare

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:29 am

Hi!

First of all I apologise that your experiences in childcare have been a little disappointing.

At the moment, some services are struggling with finding staff to cover ratios so they are doing everything they can to get staff this includes having a number of trainees at the centre. When staff are trainees and inexperienced unfortunately the centre will lack the implementation of curriculum etc.

Are you currently working as a casual or are you looking for permanent work?

:geek:
Lorina