Wanting to start my own OSHC...

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Wanting to start my own OSHC...

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Neat idea!

There should be more after hour LDC centres as well. When looking for a job I checked out an LDC opened 24 HRS in the city (Sydney). At night they do dinner, bath and bed kids etc. Staff working through the night into the morning get double wages from what I remember and all staff work in different shifts. I think that's why it isn't so popular because it could be expensive maybe for the owners??

TETRAS230

Post by TETRAS230 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:28 am

hi MissMegze or forum experts, not sure if you'll see this as your initial post was over 2 years ago.

I've been thinking about doing something similar for an inner west Sydney area, how are you going with your OSHC? Any tips, learnings or thoughts of starting up a new OSHC that you can share with a newbie whose very new to the child care / OOSH industry?

thanks!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:50 am

TETRAS230 wrote:hi MissMegze or forum experts, not sure if you'll see this as your initial post was over 2 years ago.

I've been thinking about doing something similar for an inner west Sydney area, how are you going with your OSHC? Any tips, learnings or thoughts of starting up a new OSHC that you can share with a newbie whose very new to the child care / OOSH industry?

thanks!
Hi There!

Have you had any experience working with children? Have you got any qualification in relation to childcare or OSHC? If yes, it's a good start, if not it's still possible however it may be a little more difficult since everything will be completely new to you! You could do a Diploma qualification to get you familiar with the regulations, overall requirements, policies and procedures, national quality framework etc. that you will need to be thorough with if you were to starting up an OOSH. Also, if you were to work in your OSHC service as per regulations if you are having less than 30 children only one educator is required to either hold or be working towards a Diploma qualification... So, if you would like to work in your setting it may be beneficial for you to gain a qualification...

Here is some more info:

Staff Qualifications For An OSHC

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:52 am

TETRAS230 wrote:hi MissMegze or forum experts, not sure if you'll see this as your initial post was over 2 years ago.

thanks!

I also found the following which may be a good read on how to open your OSHC:

Establishing An OOSH
Info On OSHC

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina