Setting Fees For An FDC - Hour Block or A Day Fee?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
KAP14

Setting Fees For An FDC - Hour Block or A Day Fee?

Post by KAP14 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi,

Can I please ask how other Family Day Care Educators set their fees? Do you have a daily fee with/without minimum hours or an hourly rate? What do you charge if you have after school care children? I have been running my FDC for almost a year now but when I started I was advised by my service to set an amount for each hour block. However, I have since learned that the other educators in my area set a day fee and I fear that I will not get new families because my fee structure is different, as this was brought up by a new mum looking for care. However, I am concerned that if I were to set a day fee, some of my parents who are notoriously late will take advantage and go over their contracted times without getting charged the additional time.

I do not feel overly comfortable talking to my scheme and the other educators in my area are very cliquey and not overly welcoming of new educators. I live in an area where there is only one FDC scheme and don't know who else to ask about setting fees. Also, how often do educators review and adjust/change fees?

I would appreciate any advice.

KAP14

P.S. What software, if any, do you use for book keeping/accounting/fees?
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Setting Fees For An FDC - Hour Block or A Day Fee?

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:53 am

Hi There,

I don't know how helpful this is going to be but I have an example of a fee structure based on an hourly rate:

[attachment=0]family day care fee sample.docx[/attachment]
Sorry I don't work in FDC so my knowledge is limited in this...

:geek:,
Lorina

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:07 am

Hi KAP 14,
Firstly I want to say that it is awful that your scheme has not set you up with a few Educators for support and that they are so clicky. Secondly don't worry about what others are doing as far as day fees, be confident in what you are doing and what you have to offer as every single service is unique and you want families that want what you have to offer. I agree, as much as we love our families most do tend to take advantage when it comes to running late and if they don't get charged for it they will continue to do it. I always tell new Educators to check out the careforkids.com.au website. Type in your area and postcode and you can see what other Educators, Centers, OOSCH are charging...as long as they are listed of coarse. The main thing is you don't want to be cheap because there is a lot that comes out of our fees and even though it is tax deductible you still need to make an income , and you don't want to price yourself out of your local market. For myself and everyone I see in Brisbane and surrounding areas, I have an hourly fee, which we have to add our schemes levy to. I also have a minimum of 8 hours charged a day and I have an unbooked hours late fee. We have to do that because we can't charge 12 hours or opening hours like centers do and if we have a family that only wants 5 hours then that is all you are going to earn for that space for that day......so my minimum is 8 hours. For school age I also have a minimum of 2.5 hours. It is a lot of work taking 4 babies in and out of the car dropping off and picking up to only charge an hour if that is all they need....absolutely not worth it. Minimum 2.5 hours and then you add your drop off and pick up fee too it. A lot also depends on the area, that is why I recommend the website. You can look mine up f you like. I am under Linda's Family Day Care, Bellmere, 4510. In our work it doesn't really reflect in our fees whether we have a Diploma or not, I know cert 111 Educators charging the same as me. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Also you can put your service on the care for kids website as it is free for Educators to advertise. Even though I have a long waiting list I still get at least 1 phone call a week from it.
All the best
Linsaa fdc

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Kap14,

There doesn't seem to be much advertised in your area on careforkids, 2 haven't put any fees on there either. One centre charges $72-$75 a day. Look up your surrounding areas and compare. You can review your fees according to your schemes policy. My scheme requires a 4 week notice to the scheme and to parents. Most of us over here review each financial year because that's when centrelink usually increase the hourly portion of the fees they subsidize so it doesn't end up costing as much out of pocket for those families that get a ccb.
As far as book keeping goes, I bought a disk from an accountant in Brisbane it cost $49 and is a very simple set up, if I can do it anyone can. If you want the phone number let me know and I can send it to you.
lindaa fdc :wave:

KAP14

Post by KAP14 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Lorina and linsaa fdc.

Thank you so much for your assistance. It has helped ease my mind a bit. I am going to hold off reviewing my fees until the new financial year and will speak to my accountant about help with book keeping.

Thank you muchly,
KAP14