Career change to childcare

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sharnaanne

Career change to childcare

Post by sharnaanne » Sat May 27, 2023 2:59 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Sharna and I’m thinking about starting a cert III in childcare.
Previously I’ve worked casually in cleaning and customer service, and it’s time for a career change. I’m looking for something more rewarding and meaningful, which also has a lot of steady work available, so childcare seemed like a great option to me. Plus the course is free and study is close to home.

I’m just trying to figure out if this course is right for me. I’m quite shy with an anxiety disorder, and I have limited prior experience looking after kids— I babysat a 5yr old girl a few times when I was a teenager, but that’s it, and I’m almost 30 now so that feels like a lifetime ago lol. Everyone says you need a passion for working with kids to work in childcare, but what if you have little to no experience and it just sounds like a good career? All I know is that providing little ones with a good education and support system and getting to see them grow and flourish seems very rewarding, and I’m tired of working jobs that give me no sense of purpose.

So I guess I’m just looking for some advice. Does this sound like the right career for me? Am I expected to have prior knowledge going in to a cert 3, or will they teach me all the basics of communicating with and caring for children? What was your experience with the cert III? If you also have anxiety, what has this career been like for you, would you recommend it? Any advice anyone can give me is much appreciated!

Best wishes to you all,
Sharna

Lorina

Re: Career change to childcare

Post by Lorina » Tue May 30, 2023 3:56 am

Hi Sharna,

It does sound like you have a passion for children and it is a rewarding career. You don't have to have any prior experience when starting out and you will learn everything in your Certificate 3. During your Certificate 3 you will also have practical placement where you will have to work in a service to gain hands-on experience. This is a great way for you to get a feel of what it's actually like to work in a centre.

In regards to your anxiety, like any job, there will be stress some days more than others and you will have to find various ways to manage it. Stress can come from dealing with children's behavioural problems, having issues with staff, having to talk to parents, and everyday routine... each day is different and it's non-stop but the relationships you form with the children and their families is heartwarming.

In my opinion, you should go for it! Seems like you have a great interest to get started so just do it!

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

sharnaanne

Post by sharnaanne » Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 pm

Thanks so much for your response Lorina, it was the last push I needed to contact my local tafe & sign up for the course! I’ll probably be back with lots more questions once I get started haha :D

Thanks again,
Sharna

prunellstich

Post by prunellstich » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:10 pm

Lorina wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:56 am
Hi Sharna,

It does sound like you have a passion for children and it is a rewarding career. You don't have to have any prior experience when starting out and you will learn everything in your Certificate 3. During your Certificate 3 you will also have practical placement where you will have to work in a service to gain hands-on experience. This is a great way for you to get a feel of what it's actually like to work in a centre.

In regards to your anxiety, like any job, there will be stress some days more than others and you will have to find various ways to manage it. Stress can come from dealing with children's behavioural problems, https://paperell.net/do-my-project helps me get done my project having issues with staff, having to talk to parents, and everyday routine... each day is different and it's non-stop but the relationships you form with the children and their families is heartwarming.

In my opinion, you should go for it! Seems like you have a great interest to get started so just do it!

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Lorina
Hi Lorina,

Tanks for the awesome response and the encouragement for Sharna* I also needed support on this issue and it's cool to know that I don't need any prior experience to kickstart a career in working with kids. I'm stoked to learn everything I need to know in the Certificate 3 program. And the practical placement part sounds like a real hands-on experience, which is super valuable.

However, I'd love to hear some tips or tricks on how to handle the stress that comes with this gig. Any insights or strategies you can share would be awesome. Can you help, please?

Cheers,
Prunella

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:10 pm

sharnaanne wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 pm
Thanks so much for your response Lorina, it was the last push I needed to contact my local tafe & sign up for the course! I’ll probably be back with lots more questions once I get started haha :D

Thanks again,
Sharna
That's so awesome! I'm so glad to hear that you signed up for your qualification! You will learn so much from it.

I'm always here to support you when needed!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:35 pm

Hi Lorina,

Tanks for the awesome response and the encouragement for Sharna* I also needed support on this issue and it's cool to know that I don't need any prior experience to kickstart a career in working with kids. I'm stoked to learn everything I need to know in the Certificate 3 program. And the practical placement part sounds like a real hands-on experience, which is super valuable.

However, I'd love to hear some tips or tricks on how to handle the stress that comes with this gig. Any insights or strategies you can share would be awesome. Can you help, please?

Cheers,
Prunella

Hi Prunella,

It's great to hear that you also thinking about joining the industry! Welcome aboard!

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is that you don't take anything personally. Due to the stress of the day sometimes things get said or things get done within the work environment and you need to understand that it most likely happens in the heat of the moment and it shouldn't be taken to heart.

If you have any issues bring it up, nip it in the butt then and there. Don't make assumptions that others will know how you feel.

Whatever is happening at home or in your private life keep it outside the service. As soon as you enter the door of the service put on a happy face and change your mindset and do your work. Children can sense when something is not right and their behaviour or attitude may also react to your mood.

This may also help:

Managing Stressful Moments In Early Childhood Services

I'm always available for any type of support you need.

Lorina

sharnaanne

Post by sharnaanne » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:26 pm

Lorina wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:10 pm
sharnaanne wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 pm

Thanks again,
Sharna
That's so awesome! I'm so glad to hear that you signed up for your qualification! You will learn so much from it.

I'm always here to support you when needed!

Lorina
I did apply, but unfortunately their intake was closed for this year :( What's your opinion of online ECE courses? Do you think it's worth it or should I just wait till next year when I can go in person?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:58 pm

I did apply, but unfortunately their intake was closed for this year :( What's your opinion of online ECE courses? Do you think it's worth it or should I just wait till next year when I can go in person?
It really depends on your learning style... for me personally, online learning is great because of the flexibility it offers, however, it is not suited for everyone. If you feel you will gain more understanding being face to face and being offered that supportive environment then wait... online learning is more self-learning and you will have to do a lot of work on "your own" so to speak compared to face to face classes.

Lorina

Lillith23

Post by Lillith23 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:17 am

Hi! First, I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I'm also thinking of starting a career at childcare and reading your messages helped me feel a bit more confident. I just arrived here in Australia about two months ago and my previous work experiences mostly writing and customer service related jobs in a remote setting. As I've mostly worked remotely, I didn't get much chance to interact much with people plus I'm a bit on the shy side, but I really like children and animals. I'm having some anxiety though coz aside from raising my 8 yo son, I don't have much experience in teaching kids. To add to that, I am not very creative and when I think of children, I can't help but envision all the artsy stuff my kid used to bring home from a school activity.

Do you think I'll do well in childcare even if I'm not super creative? Will getting a cert III in childcare help me learn about stuff/activities I can share with children?

Another question is I'm having a hard time choosing a training provider. TAFE seems like a good choice but they're very expensive compared to other providers (i.e. Strategix/ACTAC). Is there a difference if I go for another provider aside from TAFE?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my queries!

salmawisoky

Post by salmawisoky » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:32 pm

sharnaanne wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:59 pm
Hi everyone, my name is Sharna and I’m thinking about starting a cert III in childcare. Drift Boss
Previously I’ve worked casually in cleaning and customer service, and it’s time for a career change. I’m looking for something more rewarding and meaningful, which also has a lot of steady work available, so childcare seemed like a great option to me. Plus the course is free and study is close to home.

I’m just trying to figure out if this course is right for me. I’m quite shy with an anxiety disorder, and I have limited prior experience looking after kids— I babysat a 5yr old girl a few times when I was a teenager, but that’s it, and I’m almost 30 now so that feels like a lifetime ago lol. Everyone says you need a passion for working with kids to work in childcare, but what if you have little to no experience and it just sounds like a good career? All I know is that providing little ones with a good education and support system and getting to see them grow and flourish seems very rewarding, and I’m tired of working jobs that give me no sense of purpose.

So I guess I’m just looking for some advice. Does this sound like the right career for me? Am I expected to have prior knowledge going in to a cert 3, or will they teach me all the basics of communicating with and caring for children? What was your experience with the cert III? If you also have anxiety, what has this career been like for you, would you recommend it? Any advice anyone can give me is much appreciated!

Best wishes to you all,
Sharna
Hi Sharna! It's great to hear that you're considering a career change and exploring the possibility of starting a Certificate III in Childcare. It sounds like you're seeking a rewarding and meaningful career that offers steady work and aligns with your desire to make a positive impact on children's lives. Let's address your concerns and questions.
Firstly, it's important to note that having limited prior experience with childcare doesn't necessarily disqualify you from pursuing a career in the field. Many people enter childcare with little to no experience and develop their skills and knowledge through training and on-the-job experience. The fact that you're interested in providing children with a good education and support system shows that you have a genuine desire to make a positive difference, and that's a valuable quality to have in the childcare profession.
While having a passion for working with kids can certainly be an asset, it's not the only factor that determines success in this field. Other qualities, such as patience, empathy, good communication skills, and a willingness to learn and grow, are also crucial. As someone who has worked in customer service, you likely have transferable skills such as effective communication and the ability to handle diverse situations, which can be beneficial in working with children and their families.
Regarding your shyness and anxiety disorder, it's important to recognize that everyone has their own unique strengths and challenges. Shyness and anxiety can be managed and overcome, and many people with similar traits have found success in childcare by creating supportive environments and building their confidence over time. Keep in mind that working in childcare often involves collaborating with a team, and you'll have colleagues who can provide assistance and support.
If you're passionate about making a positive impact on children's lives, providing them with a nurturing environment, and helping them grow and develop, then pursuing a career in childcare can be a wonderful choice. The course will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to work effectively in the field, and practical experience during the course will help you gain confidence and familiarity with working with children.
Consider researching more about the course, talking to professionals in the field, and perhaps even volunteering or shadowing in a childcare setting to get a better sense of the work involved. This will help you make an informed decision about whether it's the right path for you.
Remember, it's never too late to pursue a career that gives you a sense of purpose and fulfillment. Take the time to explore your options, do some self-reflection, and trust your instincts. Best of luck in your decision-making process and future endeavors!