Career Change Options - Outside of the classroom

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bensos
Participator
Participator

Career Change Options - Outside of the classroom

Post by Bensos » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:36 am

Ive been diploma qualified for about 7 years and in that time in my centre have slowly accumulated a bunch of additional tasks simply because im the one most able to do them. Before i career transitioned to childcare i worked a lot in project management, mentoring and charities so have a lot of admin/people management skills. I now hold the job titles of 2IC, Educational Leader for the Center as well as the kinder room leader in absence of a permanent ECT.

A recent substantial health issue has made me really re-evaluate the amount of workload i have. In my defence i have been asking for the last two years to have my workload reduced, delegate roles to others - no one wants to volunteer and new hires are all trainees as there is a resource shortage in our area. My health has suffered greatly to the point of now needing a surgical procedure because i have been avoiding a chronic health issue because work is always short staffed.

I need to leave, the only way i can preserve my health is to go somewhere else. years of asking for help even when escalating to managers has done nothing.

What are alternative or adjacent career paths? I love being an Educational Leader - supporting others to learn and think differently about how they engage with training etc. My strengths are more in the office/admin - although i do love working with children.

Ive checked out all the usual job seeking suspects, but does anyone have a suggestion for role alternatives? Is there a need for mentors in Early Childhood or Educational Leadership?

Id love to hear suggestions

Lorina

Re: Career Change Options - Outside of the classroom

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:44 am

Hi!

Sorry kinda made it short and sweet yesterday with my response... I just wanted to add...

I have noticed that in services there is a couple of people who seem to "do it all" and Educators as well as management rely on these people to get things done disregarding the amount of pressure, stress, overworked that these Educators already feel.

It's completely unfair, unethical and most of the time go above pay grade and the responsibilites of the Educators but becuase they show initiative and responsiblities it gets pushed on to them.

This I feel from what I have read in your post is what has happened to you.

You being pulled in a 100 different directions and it's not healthy to say the least.

If you are not even given an ounce of support by management then it's definelty time to leave for the sake of your own health and wellbeing.

I suggested previously to check out ACECQA for job opportunities, you can also have a look at the Department of Education or even head office positions at bigger chain centres.

I hope that you find what you are looking for but please make sure you look after yourself!

:geek:,
Lorina

pinabthakkar

Re: Career Change Options - Outside of the classroom

Post by pinabthakkar » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:11 am

I totally get where you're coming from with needing a change, especially for the sake of your health. It reminds me of my friend, who was also in education and felt burnt out. She shifted to a career in educational consulting, which let her use her teaching skills in a new way. It might be a good fit for you too since you love the educational leadership aspect.