Career Change into Childcare.. What is best?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
AmberAria

Career Change into Childcare.. What is best?

Post by AmberAria » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi all,

After extensive research i cannot find a straight answer for me question.

I am looking at studying either Cert III or Diploma of Early Childhood Education & Care.

What do you feel provides the better outcome? Studying the course online and having work placement or trying to gain work whilst completing the course OR going for a traineeship.

I ask because I will be resigning from my job and will be jobless. So wondering if getting a part time position anywhere with a day work placement or securing a traineeship will better for my goal.

What have you done?

Thanks heaps

Lorina

Re: Career Change into Childcare.. What is best?

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Ok so let's start off with the traineeship. As a traineeship you basically work with a centre and they pay for your study. You only have to pay the enrolment fee. Now with the traineeship it benefits you as you basically are working in the centre, gaining experience, while you study. So this really helps with your assignments and work placement as you learn while you work. Also, with assignments you will need access to a lot of documents and information and your centre may be able to provide this. With the traineeship though, you need to stay with the centre until you finish the qualification. Typically for a cert 3 - 1 year and for the diploma - 2 years.

In regards to working while completing the course - this is possible as you will be "actively working towards a qualification" so you will be counted as a cert 3 educator when you begin and maintain enrolment for this qualification, for Diploma you need to finish the cert 3 units off to be counted as a Diploma educator. The difference between this option and a traineeship is that a traineeship requires you to complete the qualification in a 1 or 2 years and your committed to that centre, however when working and studying separately you can finish the course at your own pace. So, if you wanted to finish it quicker then you're able to do so.

When I first started out I did a traineeship and I really learnt so much and got great support from the centre. It really helped me to complete my assignments and get a better understanding of the theory involved because I was always practicing what I had learnt through assignments. I know it's hard to figure out but in the end whether you work and study separately or do the traineeship, you end up getting the same qualification (Diploma or Cert 3).

Let me know if you have any further questions,

:geek:,
Lorina