Studying cert 3 online or on campus?!

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
sarscat

Studying cert 3 online or on campus?!

Post by sarscat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

Hi,

I have recently applied to Chisholm Tafe to do my Cert 3 in childrens services with plans to follow on and do the diploma. I am a stay at home mum with 3 small childrens and can only do part time study at tafe.. Cert 3 is 2 nights a week plus placement until the end of the year.

I am now wondering if it would be better to study through online learning and work at my own pace, hopefully finishing the course quicker than I would if I went to tafe at night..

Problem is I have been trying to find a course online and there are so many I have no idea where to go!

Would love some opinions/advise?!

thanks so much!
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Kasseyw

Re: Cert 3- help please!! online or on campus?!

Post by Kasseyw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi,
I am a Stay at home mum of 2 and have been studying online for the past 10 mths (just under 2mths to go) with Inspire education.
I have found it quite challenging at times but I am glad to be able to do it in my own time and at my own pace and I think it has suited me best with my family and my lifestyle.
I think it depends on how motivated and dedicated you are and how much time you can commit to during the week. It can be quite tricky sometimes being there for your kids and then having to sit down and concentrate on your work.
Also think about how you learn - do you learn better if discussing in a group or with a teacher? or are you capable of doing the research and learning from the text in front of you?
I have found Inspire to be an excellent provider they are always there if you need any help or support and it is easy to upload the information through the student portal however I have wondered at times if the Assessments are a little more involved and detailed than if I had have done it in a classroom.
Anyway as you can see today is a day I am struggling with motivation! Better get back to it!
Hope this helps
Kassey :)

Lorina

Re: Cert 3- help please!! online or on campus?!

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:09 am

Hi There,

I did my diploma online through Cengage Learning. Online study was the better option for me at that time because it best suited me, however at times I did find it difficult to complete assignments when I wasn't motivated. Another thing to consider is the cost... If you are doing an online course it will probably cost you more than going to TAFE to complete it. I paid around $4000 for my Diploma of Children's Services back in 2007. Also just wanted to add that if you go to TAFE, even though it may be a classroom environment you may find the classroom filled with teens just out of high school which can get really annoying and frustrating...

Like you said one of the major benefits of doing it online is that you get to do it at your own pace, you can finish it quicker if you want and you don't have to worry about attending classes if you have something on etc.

Thought I'd share my experience,

:geek:,
L.A

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Studying cert 3 online or on campus?!

Post by Kaz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 am

I am doing both, I go to class one day a week and do the rest online. The main of the course is online for me anyways, I only go to class to meet people(and study of course lol), I use to work 5days a week, 3 child and study it just made me stress more... But now that I am a SAHM and doing the studying my way I am flying thru it. You need to find what the balance is for you and just go with it. You do not want to over work yourself and get stressed out. That's no good for you, your kids or your studies.

peniplate

Re: Studying cert 3 online or on campus?!

Post by peniplate » Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi,
I have recently enrolled into BNIT (Brisbane North Institute of Tafe) for a federally funded program which is 3 modules for Cert 111 and the rest of the modules are my diploma in child care services and it is only costing over the term of the course $366 and at the end of this I will have my Diploma. This course is online as I am working full time at a daycare and a single mother of 4 young boys and trying to start up 2 small side line business aswell. I am on a time line to get the modules done but the support staff are really helpful and understanding.
This could be a different option if your interested and its the cheapist I have found out there.
Good luck with your studies.