Scenario - Cathy the untrained worker

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Leslee92

Scenario - Cathy the untrained worker

Post by Leslee92 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Scenario:
You notice Cathy (the new untrained worker) talking to Annie's mum. You overhear Cathy discussing how another child Ben is always biting. Cathy goes on to say that she thinks that Ben is a bit of a bully and that the other staff at the service/centre do not punish him enough.

What would you do? I would approach Cathy on her own so she does not think I am picking on her, and just let her know that we are not allowed to disclose the identity of the other children as we have to protect their confidentiality as per our centres policy and also let her know she is not to say she thinks certain children are bullies and what not.
Who could you get advice from? I could get advice from my room leader as well as my manager or director as they would know how to handle this situation professionally and are aware of all the guidelines in which must be followed.
What advice could you give Cathy? I could advise Cathy of the confidentiality policy that we have in place at our centre and just tell her to be mindful when talking to parents, or even suggest she leaves that for the room leader.
What regulations, policies and procedures is Cathy breaching? Cathy is breaching the policy that protects the confidentiality of all children and families that our centre cares for.

I am unsure if these answers are adequate or correct at all so any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this.
Thank you :)