Scenario: ADD Child Relaxation Activities Every Hour

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jenngare
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Scenario: ADD Child Relaxation Activities Every Hour

Post by jenngare » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Work effectively with families to care for the child
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
A child’s parents want their son to participate in relaxation activities every hour. He must be separated from the other children and supported to do either deep breathing, yoga exercises or slow stretches for five minutes. Their reasons for this are that an educator at a different service recently labelled him as having attention deficit disorder (ADD) and they do not want him to take medication. At home, the only way he stays calm is by doing the relaxation activities. The parents fear that if he doesn’t do the exercises, his behaviour may be labelled again and he may be forced to go on medication.
1. How does the program of activities and timetable link with this request? That is, what care practices may need to be altered to meet this request?
What are the limitations of your service relating to this request?
How would you explain these clearly?
3. What are some of alternatives/compromises that could be explored to accommodate this request?
4. Who would be involved in discussing this situation with the family?
a) Who would need to be informed of the final decision regarding this request?
b) How would this decision be communicated to those involved?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
1. How does the program of activities and timetable link with this request? That is, what care practices may need to be altered to meet this request? We would need to have extra supervision, we would need to organise a separate area
2. a) What are the limitations of your service relating to this request? Staffing and room
b) How would you explain these clearly? I would kindly explain to the parents that we have a policy for supervision of the children and we would like to keep all the children including their own child safe.

3. What are some of alternatives/compromises that could be explored to accommodate this request? It could be discussed about assessing the child to ensure that he has ADD before any further action is taken.
4. Who would be involved in discussing this situation with the family? The Director and group leader would be involved in the discussion along with the parents. Also any agency that may need to be involved.
5. a) Who would need to be informed of the final decision regarding this request? The educators, the parents, the director and any agencies that may be involved
b) How would this decision be communicated to those involved? Thiswould all need to be recorded in writing with a letter for the parents and a letter for all educators to see so everyone is aware of the situation. Also it should be advised at the next staff meeting to ensure all staff are aware of the outcome and can ask any questions necessary to the final outcome.

Description and Message:
Could someone please let me know if i am on the right direction with my answers. Thank you
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Scenario: ADD Child Relaxation Activities Every Hour

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 am

I think you are going in the right direction with your answers. Another limitation may be the routine itself. You may not be able to do the relaxation every hour because of what you are doing in the class.

I would also suggest saying to the parents you respect what they had been told by a previous teacher, there was no formal diagnosis of ADD. You would probably be best starting from scratch saying you would like to observe him and his behaviour and if it seems there is a problem then get him formally assessed. I think you need to stress that there had been no formal diagnosis which makes it hard ... if there was then medication was not their only option but it also means that a support person could be assigned to their son who then could implement techniques they wanted etc

jenngare
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Re: Scenario: ADD Child Relaxation Activities Every Hour

Post by jenngare » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Thank you that is a great help.
Jenny

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re:Scenario: ADD Child Relaxation Activities Every Hour

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:00 pm