in need of advice

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
PaigeLePierres

in need of advice

Post by PaigeLePierres » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN305B Care for Babies.
Respond to cues and needs of babies/infants
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Iam having trouble with this assessment.

Ellie 914 months) is becoming more confident and independent each day. she insists on doing most things for herself and will persist at a task even when she becomes frustrated.
When Ellie becomes tired she resists the carer's efforts to put her down for a sleep.
Ellie insists on finishing her lunch.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
so far i have got

The educator could involve Ellie in group activities.
The educator could help Ellis with any tasks that makes her frustrated.
Maybe the Educator can try and put Ellie down for a sleep when she starts to show signs of being tired.

I have a complete mind blank at the moment.
This is the only one im having trouble with.

Description and Message:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: in need of advice

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:27 pm

What is the question?? You have presented a scenario but there is no question.

PaigeLePierres

Post by PaigeLePierres » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 am

oops.
I knew i forgot something.

the question is
suggest a carer strategy that could be used so the Ellie does not become overtired

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:46 am

I would find out the routine at home, what time does she normally go down for a sleep.
Observe her to find out how much she can do without reaching the point of getting overtired.
Build her up to tasks, so give her tasks she can do easily and then tasks that are more challenging so she is not getting so frustrated.
If she insists on finishing her lunch (don’t see the problem with this???!!!) then let her, if it means that it delays the sleep time and makes her then overtired then start her lunch earlier so she is finished in time to go to sleep.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:23 pm

HI there
I would also add, possibly doing activities that are calming (read a book etc) before trying to put her down for a sleep, so that she is settled more before nap time. She may be working herself up into the cranky overtired situation if a Carer is trying to put her to sleep before she is ready. Having a quiet time activity could assist.
Agree with fefe on all the other great ideas.
The child may also be used to having a small morning sleep and it is too much to wait till the afternoon.
Hope this helps
Cathiek

PaigeLePierres

Post by PaigeLePierres » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Thank you so much for your help