Help - CHC41208

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Rainshadow

Help - CHC41208

Post by Rainshadow » Sun May 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey, was wondering if someone could help me out.

I am currently completing a Cert IV in children's services - Outside School Hours Care. It is via correspondence, but I am struggling to find answers to many questions as the only resource I have been given is a book on OSHC written in 1996, and it is next to useless (no regulations or QA etc).

A question I am stumped on, despite much googling: List the governing bodies/organisations that create/enforce the following; child care standards, child care regulations, child care legislation.

Not asking to be handheld (though I wouldn't mind ;) ), but if someone could even point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative!

Lorina

Re: Help - CHC41208

Post by Lorina » Mon May 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey Rainshadow,

I can’t believe that’s the only resource your course has given you?? Gosh, when I did my Diploma of Children’s Services I made sure I got enough Resources to get me through. Although now with the internet and all I’m not surprised you got a crappy book to go along with your assignments…How Frustrating :evil: !

Ok, I got some info so I’m not sure whether or not you got the same info or not. Let me know, if you already have it and I will try to find out more for you.

Regarding the child care standards as far as I’m aware NCAC (National Childcare Accreditation Council) look after all that for OSHC, like they also do with childcare centers. They produced a “Quality Practices Guide” which covers 8 Quality Areas. You compare your OSHC with the Principles within the guide against indicators of either satisfactory, good quality or high quality care. A representative from NCAC will come out to your OSCH service and basically observe staff, children, centre EVERYTHING and make up their finally analysis of the quality of standard of care that particular service provides. There is a lot more too it but I just gave you a short version…hehehehe… :lol: . I’ve provided you with the link to the NCAC website if you want to check it out.

Link 1: http://www.ncac.gov.au/resources/oshcqa_pub.asp

Regarding the child care regulation and legislation in an OSHC in NSW there isn’t any at the moment. However I noticed that you were from QLD and I found out that in QLD an OSHC falls under the department of education and training. Now I’m not sure whether they are responsible for enforcing the regulation and legislation. Here is the link regarding the regulations ad legislations for OSHC in Queensland.

Link 2: http://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/e ... /scmpr016/

Hopefully this has provided you with some answers to your questions,

Cheers :geek:
L.A

Rainshadow

Post by Rainshadow » Wed May 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Indeed, it is very frustrating, next to no contact with the institution as well.

I did find the NCAC site, it was very helpful (although thank you for the link). I am actually located in Victoria, not sure where you got QLD from! We do indeed have regulation and legislation in full force here, but you have set me on the right path. I'll keep looking, but thanks so much for your reply!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Oops :oops: , I'm so sorry... I got no idea why I thought you were from QLD??

Cheers :geek:

parth

Post by parth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:54 pm

hey i guess you shouldn't have gone for certificate iv course via correspondence...these is just what i feel...but i am sure you would find your answers soon...